A LEON Clarke double against his former side Wigan deservedly sent Bury into the second round of the Capital One Cup.

The summer signing looped in a header to equalise Will Grigg’s 46th-minute opener from the spot before firing home a penalty of his own as the game looked to be heading into extra time.

Clarke, who scored that bizarre walk-in equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw at Doncaster in Bury’s League One opener on Saturday, ran the line himself, with strike partner Tom Pope dropping to the bench.

He was replaced by Hallam Hope, who started wide on the left, with Danny Mayor on the opposite flank.

Andrew Tutte bolstered the centre of midfield, alongside Tom Soares and Kelvin Etuhu as Bury matched the home side’s 4-3-3 formation.

But while they managed to keep Wigan down to a handful of half chances in the opening half, Gary Caldwell’s men looked brighter in possession.

Shakers right-back Joe Riley had to use his body to block an early effort from Wigan wide-man Michael Jacobs, who also cut in well in the 25th minute before firing a shot wide.

Grigg almost embarrassed the Bury defence, drifting in between on-rushing keeper Christian Walton and left-back Chris Hussey to control a long ball into the box before hooking is effort wide.

And Jordan Flores had the home crowd on their feet with a jinking run into the box before forcing Walton into a smart save at his near post.

But Bury ended the half with a flourish as Leon Clarke powered home a slide-rule pass from Mayor, only for his effort to be ruled out for offside.

Flitcroft changed shape at half-time, putting Pope on for Mayor to go two up front.

But Bury quickly fell behind after Peter Clarke was penalised for a clumsy challenge on Jacobs in the box just 15 seconds after the restart and Grigg put the resulting spot-kick straight down the middle.

Jacob Mellis was introduced in place of Hope shortly after the Wigan opener as the Shakers boss went for broke.

And the first chance they had to get the ball into the box Clarke headed in the equaliser, outmuscling marker Leon Barnett to loop an effort into the top corner from a pinpoint Hussey cross.

Soares then put Pope in on goal following a powerful run and clever reverse pass but the substitute found Wigan stopper Richard O’Donnell with a weak shot from the edge of the box.

Bury piled on the pressure in the closing stages with first Tutte sending a shot wide from the edge of the box and then Soares having a shot charged down after being teed up by Leon Clarke.

Wigan sent on former Wanderers striker Craig Davies to try to exert some pressure of their own but the home side struggled to regain control of possession.

And as the clocked ticked down to extra time the Shakers finally got the breakthrough they deserved after Leon Clarke slotted home his second of the night from the spot with one minute remaining.

There was no doubt about the penalty decision after Wigan captain Craig Morgan hauled Pope to the floor in full view of referee Mark Heywood.

Bury never looked like losing their lead as almost 1,500 travelling fans went home dreaming of a big name at Gigg Lane in the next round.