By Mikael McKenzie

BURY were the victims of a smash-and-grab last night as Luke Williams' 30-yard free-kick four minutes from time ensured Scunthorpe ran out 2-1 victors at Gigg Lane.

The Iron took the lead in the 12th minute after Nathan Cameron fouled Luke Williams in the penalty area and Paddy Madden stepped up to notch his 13th goal of the season from the spot.

Leon Clarke struck his 12th goal of the campaign to level five minutes into the second half.

But as the Shakers pushed for the elusive winner Williams curled in a brilliant free-kick against the run of play to send the visitors back to Lincolnshire with all three points.

David Flitcroft made three changes from the 1-0 victory against Burton at the weekend as Tom Soares and Danny Mayor were replaced by Kelvin Etuhu and Craig Jones.

Tom Pope dropped to the bench as Danny Rose came in to partner Leon Clarke up front.

Bury controlled the early possession but fell behind when Williams was dragged down by the Shakers skipper after a mazy run into the penalty area.

The Iron's top goalscorer Madden stepped up and duly converted from the spot, sending Daniel Bachmann the wrong way.

But the hosts reacted in a positive manner through the lively Joe Dodoo, who cut in from the left and fired a deflected effort goalwards that forced Luke Daniels into a smart save down to his left on the 18th minute.

And a minute later the club's top-scorer Leon Clarke poked Danny Rose's low cross from the right the wrong side of the upright from close-range, before the powerful forward had a looping header saved.

The Shakers' onslaught continued when Rose took advantage of some slack defending to pick up a loose ball and round the goalkeeper but his shot came back off the post from an acute angle.

Clarke had the chance to level on the stroke of half-time after racing through on goal following a one-two with Rose, but the striker smashed his effort straight against the body of Daniels.

The Gigg Lane outfit started the second period as the ended the first with Craig Jones testing Daniels with a header from Joe Riley's deep cross.

And five minutes after the re-start Bury were level. Joe Riley produced a moment of brilliance down the right to skip past Scott Laird and cut the ball back to Clarke who swept the ball home from 10-yards out.

Moments later Scunthorpe skipper Jack King was twice denied by the superb Bachmann. The first, a stunning finger-tip save from two-yards, was swiftly followed by a second, a strong wrist to claw a header off the line that looked for all the world like it was heading into the top corner.

The visitors shot into life after being pegged back and Tommy Rowe created a pocket of space in the area but could not find a way past Bachmann.

The energetic Etuhu sent Clarke through on goal in the 70th minute but the forward rolled his shot across goal and wide.

But in pushing for the elusive winner Bury left themselves exposed at the back and when Peter Clarke hacked down Williams 30 yards out with four minutes remaining the midfielder picked himself up to curl the resulting free-kick into the bottom corner.