BURY secured their place in the hat for the FA Cup fourth-round draw with a hard-fought goalless stalemate at home to Bradford City.

But the game was marred by a worrying injury to Shakers midfielder Craig Jones.

The 28-year-old was taken to hospital for further assessments after falling unconscious following a clash of heads but later tweeted to assure fans he was okay.



Bury rode their luck after the visitors missed a host of glorious opportunities.

Braford could easily have won it in the fifth minute of added time when James Hanson lifted a shot over the bar from just a yard out.

Andrew Tutte came closest for the hosts after breaking clear to go one-on-one with goalkeeper Ben Williams, who kept out the midfielder's effort.

Bury manager David Flitcroft made four changes from the League One defeat at Fleetwood Town.

Peter Clarke was left out after picking up a knock last weekend, while teenage striker Anthony Dudley, who started on the Fylde coast, was loaned to National League side Guiseley in midweek.

Young midfielder Scott Burgess and on-loan keeper Daniel Bachmann, who returns to parent club Stoke City this evening, dropped to the bench.

Ian Lawlor was thrust straight into the starting XI following his loan move from Manchester City earlier in the week and full-back Joe Riley, and central midfielders Tom Soares and Kelvin Etuhu all returned from injury.

Veteran forward Ryan Lowe was back among the substitutes after returning from a loan spell at Crewe Alexandra.

The Bantams, whose 3,000-strong travelling support packed out the stands behind both goals, shot out of the blocks and caused chaos in the Shakers' box with a succession of long balls aimed up towards Hanson.

However, it was Bury who had the first real chance of the game as Tutte linked up with Leon Clarke down the right and the striker cut inside before scooping a shot over the crossbar.

Silence fell upon Gigg Lane in the 15th minute when Jones took a knock to the head and fell straight to the ground, lying prone on the pitch without moving.

Both medical teams rushed on to tend to the midfielder and after six minutes of treatment the Welshman was taken down the tunnel strapped to a stretcher.

Striker Lowe was brought on as his replacement and slotted straight into the right of midfield.

Bradford's Tony McMahon curled a brilliant 25-yard free-kick against the post as Bradford pushed for the opener.

But Bury controlled the end of the first period and missed two glorious chances to take a lead into the break.

First Tutte was foiled by Wiliams after being played through by Danny Mayor, before an unmarked Leon Clarke headed Chris Hussey's deep cross wide from six yards out with the goal gaping, although the offside flag eventually spared the forward's blushes.

Shakers supporters rallied together five minutes after the restart to show their support to Leon Clarke by applauding for the entire minute in remembrance of the striker's father, who died last weekend aged 50.

The hosts were dealt another blow on the 64th minute when Riley limped off and had to be replaced by Danny Pugh.

Police were forced to storm into the terraces hosting the away supporters after a mass brawl broke out 20 minutes from time.

It took a couple of minutes for the perpetrators to be evicted but the tension remained on a knife edge.

And minutes later the Bantams' Gary Liddle had his head in his hands after heading Kyel Reid's dinked cross wide from six yards with the goal gaping.

The visitors were asking all the questions late on and could have nicked it through Rory McArdle, who powered a header wide from a corner before Hanson lifted a shot over the bar from one yard out.

Bury, who lost 2-1 at Bradford in the league in October, will now have to return to the Coral Windows Stadium.

But they will at least be in the hat for the fourth round draw, which will take place live on the One Show on BBC One from 7pm on Monday.