RYAN Lowe's first goal since returning for his third spell at Bury was enough to seal victory at Charlton.

The experienced striker took his tally for the club to 71 and ensured Lee Clark's 100 per cent start as Shakers manager continued after following up last weekend's win at Chesterfield.

Bury rode their luck at times and it needed a string of fine saves from goalkeeper Joe Murphy to wrap up maximum points at the Valley.

Lowe’s first-half strike proved the difference after the hosts had twice rattled the Bury crossbar.

The win moves Clark’s men up to 19th in League One, three points clear of the relegation zone.

Meanwhile, Bury announced the signing of former Birmingham midfielder Paul Caddis prior to kick-off.

The 28-year-old had been without a club since his contract at St Andrew’s was mutually terminated in January. He has put pen to paper on a contract until the end of the season.

Clark made three changes from the side that beat Chesterfield last time out.

Andrew Tutte missed out while Scott Burgess and Tom Pope dropped to the bench.

Midfielder Caddis was handed his debut and Callum Styles and Hallam Hope returned to the starting line up.

The Bury boss kept faith with the 5-3-2 formation that helped to gain seven points from the last nine.

And his faith was rewarded when 38-year-old Lowe drilled in the opening goal inside 22 minutes after great work by Jacob Mellis in getting to the byline and pulling the ball back.

The Addicks almost responded in the 33rd minute but Lee Novak’s looping header hit the woodwork.

And from the resulting corner Murphy made a magnificent save to deny Novak from point-blank range.

After half time the duel between keeper and forward continued as Murphy produced a world-class save to deny Novak from six yards.

Bury looked lively on the counter and the introduction of pacy striker George Miller unnerved the hosts' back line.

Murphy had to be at his best to push away a shot that deflected off Cameron Burgess in the 71st minute and Bury broke with Hope, who had a stinging volley pushed over the bar by Declan Rudd.

Charlton had one more chance deep into added time that fell to defender Jorge Teixeira but his effort crashed back off the bar to ensure Murphy’s clean sheet remained in tact.