BURY's wait for a first away win in the league since February continues after they conceded a late equaliser in a 1-1 draw at Gillingham.

Victory would have seen the Shakers leapfrog the hosts in League One's bottom four and it looked like they might do it after Neil Danns fired in a 39th-minute opener – his first Bury goal in a year.

But just as it looked like the visitors would give caretaker boss Ryan Lowe a welcome three points in his first league game in charge, Josh Parker levelled with a free header on 85 minutes.

Bury almost found themselves behind in the first minute as former loanee Sean Clare won a tackle with recalled defender Phil Edwards before bursting down the right and firing just wide of the far post.

Both sides then struggled to create any chances before the Shakers began to have the greater possession just before the half-hour mark.

Greg Leigh played a one-two with Jay O'Shea before crossing for Nicky Ajose to volley wide.

Ajose then got in the way of a goalbound shot by strike partner Michael Smith. But Smith then played the ball back to Eoghan O'Connell, whose sharp ball down the right channel was perfect for Danns to latch onto and fire into the far corner.

Smith went close again before the break, although Parker fired over from a Gillingham corner as the hosts piled the pressure on in the second half.

Parker also headed straight at Bury keeper Leo Fasan while Mark Byrne dragged a shot wide.

The Shakers replied with substitute Andrew Tutte curling a 25-yard shot against the post, but Fasan then parried a long-range strike by Clare.

A thrilling finish continued with Ajose's shot being tipped over by Tomas Holy, and that proved a crucial save as moments later Parker peeled off his man to head home from Lee Martin's corner and make it 14 away games in the league without a win for Bury.

It also saw the Shakers slip to the bottom of the table, despite following up their midweek Checkatrade Trophy win with another encouraging performance.