GEORGE Miller was the match-winner as Bury signed off their home campaign at Gigg Lane with a victory over Portsmouth – and Ryan Lowe was pleased to give the fans something to smile about.

The Shakers, already relegated from League One, won it when Miller seized on a defensive error midway through the second half to seal a morale-boosting win.

But in a season with little to cheer that saw them confirmed as down a fortnight ago, Lowe admitted this relief will be shortlived.

“Obviously it is nice to get three points in our last home game of the season, it won’t change anything but it has sent our fans away with a smile on their face because they haven’t had much this season, it has been tough for them as well as us, so that’s what we set out to do, to win our last home game,” he said.

“We’ve got another three points and we want another three points to finish on, it won’t change anything but our points tally would look a lot better if we can so that is obviously the aim.

“To a man, we dug in, the quality wasn’t there as much but the players can be proud.

“I said to them that I wanted them to make the pitch bigger when we had it, and to be comfortable in possession and I think we did that, and it worked.”

Lowe’s Shakers enjoyed a positive opening to their final home game of the season, going close through long-range attempts from Harry Bunn and Jay O’Shea.

Up the other end, Bury were given a let off when Jamal Lowe’s cross from the right found the unmarked Oliver Hawkins, who glanced his diving header wide.

In a low key first half of few clearcut chances, Neil Danns scuffed his drive from outside of the area after Christian Burgess’ clearance had fallen to the veteran Bury midfielder.

The hosts were then rocked with a frustrating knee injury sustained by midfielder Harry Bunn, who was forced off to be replaced by substitute Tsun Dai.

As half time approached, Portsmouth looked to gain an advantage, and through the weaving feet of industrious midfielder Lowe, they went close after he danced into the penalty area from the right to shoot just over the upright.

Following the break, Bury’s hardworking left-back Greg Leigh found space in an attacking position, he played the ball into the area for Jay O’Shea, who skewed his shot wide.

Brett Pitman then glanced Lowe’s teasing cross just over the crossbar, before Stuart O’Keefe’s fizzing volley was deflected wide.

Lowe’s men almost look the lead midway through the half when O’Shea’s corner from the right was met by Leigh, Miller hooked the ball beyond goalkeeper Luke McGee but Pitman scrambled off the line.

Miller did get his goal on 68 minutes however, capitalising on a mix-up between substitute Matt Kennedy and stopper McGee to steal the ball and slot into an empty net.

Portsmouth applied late pressure, having a penalty appeal on Kennedy waved away by referee Andy Haines, but Bury hung on.

Referee: Andy Haines

Attendance: 4,575

Bury (4-5-1): Murphy 6, A Thompson 6, Shotton 6, Cooney 6 (Clarke 80 5) Leigh 8, Ismail 6, O’Shea 6, Styles 6, Danns 6, Bunn 5 (Dai 32 5) Miller 7 (Sang 90).

Subs not used: Ripley, Tutte, Sang, Adams Hulme.

Portsmouth (4-3-3-1): McGee, N Thompson, Burgess, Clarke, Donohue (Haunstrup 63), Lowe, Close, O’Keefe, Ronan (Chaplin 85) Hawkins (Kennedy 55) Pitman.

Subs not used: Deslandes, May, Evans.