RADCLIFFE pushed Bury all the way in a 2-2 draw at the Neuven Stadium in front of a healthy crowd of 614 on Tuesday night.

Boro manager Jon Macken was pleased with his side's performance as they went toe-to-toe with a fairly strong Shakers outfit.

After being on the receiving end of much pressure in the first half – in which Bury scored the only goal – Boro hit back with a much-improved second-half performance and were leading 2-1 with just two minutes to go.

The goals came from Joe Adams and an own goal from Callum Grogan for Bury, with new Boro signings Lewis Lacy and Tunde Owolabi finding the back of the net in the second half.

Both Bury and Radcliffe fans had a glimpse of new signings in the annual friendly between two clubs who are only three miles apart.

Bury made a bright start and drew first blood on five minutes after a miscommunication between Boro's player-of-the-year last season, Callum Grogan, and new goalkeeper Oliver Martin.

Grogan’s header looped over the keeper and found its way into the back of the net, to get Radcliffe’s evening off to the worse possible start.

The Shakers continued to pile on the pressure with Scott Burgess firing in a shot on 15 minutes which Martin collected.

Saul Shotton's header flew just wide, and with Radcliffe offering little going forward and Bury pressurising, a second goal would not have been a surprise.

Tsun Dia’s effort curled just wide and Burgess had two shots blocked, first by Grogan and then Martin as Boro dug deep to hold out.

Martin then pushed Luke Williams' dangerous free kick out for a corner to ensure his side trailed by just the one goal at the break.

While Shakers manager Ryan Lowe could be happy with his side's efforts in the first half, Macken had a big team talk ahead of him if his side was to claim the local bragging rights.

The former Manchester City striker showed his intent by making three substitutions for the second half with Liam Wood, Lewis Lacy and Tunde Owolabi entering the fray.

Radcliffe, who travel to Prestwich Heys on Saturday (kick off 3pm), showed an improvement at the start of the second half as they applied some pressure, with new signing Owolabi causing the Shakers defence problems.

He fired one effort over before Ben Wharton's powerful shot was saved.

Owolabi then struck another shot narrowly wide before Radcliffe’s efforts were rewarded when Lewis Lacy headed in a brilliant whipped corner from Scott Metcalfe.

Boro went ahead when former Prescot Cables forward Owolabi finally found the back of the net on 73 minutes with a stunning overhead kick.

It was his fourth goal in three games following a hat-trick against Knutsford in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Saturday.

Macken described his latest effort as “tremendous” and “spectacular” after the forward's pace and power caused Bury plenty of problems in the second half.

He had a chance to put Radcliffe further in front on 82 minutes when his electrifying pace was too much for the Bury defence to handle but he could not find the back of the net.

Macken’s side continued to apply pressure in the closing stages and Metcalfe had another chance with a powerful header.

But it was not to be for the Evo-Stik West side as their League Two neighbours made a late effort to earn a draw and were rewarded on 88 minutes when Joe Adams headed home a corner.