BURY were denied a memorable Carabao Cup win last night as Nottingham Forest scored a stoppage-time equaliser before winning 10-9 in a marathon penalty shootout.

The Shakers looked set to knock out the four-time winners after Eoghan O’Connell’s second-minute header stunned the hosts.

Forest then had goalkeeper Jordan Smith sent off on 32 minutes and did not have a shot on target until the 79th minute.

But in the third of five minutes of stoppage time, Matty Cash struck to take the tie to a shootout. Tom Miller spurned the chance to win it for Bury during sudden death, before substitute keeper Luke Steele denied O’Connell to give Forest a 10-9 shootout win.

The result was harsh on Bury as Forest dominated possession but only tested Joe Murphy late on.

Ryan Lowe made five changes, one among his back six, with Callum McFadzean replacing Chris Stokes at left wing-back.

Elsewhere, Stephen Dawson and Jay O’Shea came into midfield while forwards Dominic Telford and Gold Omotayo made their first Bury starts, having both come off the bench in the first two games.

And O’Shea made an early impression, winning a free-kick 30 yards out and delivering an inswinger towards the far post.

O’Connell was left unmarked and the Irish centre-half was at full stretch to reach the ball before Smith and head past the stranded keeper.

Forest immediately pressed Bury back, with Stephen Dawson blocking a Cash shot before Michael Hefele headed over.

But Michael Dawson’s wayward pass gave Telford a run at goal and the former England centre-half managed to get back just in time to block Telford’s shot.

Omotayo’s flick-on then put Telford through and he nudged the ball past Smith before being brought down by the keeper just outside the box.

Although Telford tried to get back to his feet, the chance had gone and the referee had little choice but to show Smith a red card, with Telford hitting the free-kick straight into the wall.

The Shakers continued to look comfortable after the break and Omotayo overhit a square ball when he had time to shoot.

Telford then flashed a long-range effort wide and a rare Forest attack resulted in Daryl Murphy heading over.

The longer the game went on, the more Bury grew in confidence and they forced Steele to scramble the ball clear before O’Shea and McFadzean fired wide from outside the box.

Joe Lolley tested Murphy before the keeper made a fine save from Ben Osborn.

Forest piled on the pressure as the game went into added time and a corner fell for Cash to fire between Murphy’s legs.

Yet the Shakers were almost denied even a shootout as Hefele headed against a post at the death.