SEDGLEY Park Tigers bounced back from three straight defeats as they sealed a narrow 13-10 victory over Hull.

Having lost to high-flying Hinckley, champions Caldy and lowly Luctonians, assistant coach Steve Hazzelby was looking for a response and he got that on Saturday – although he admits the Tigers could made it easier for themselves.

A Jamie Harrison try and eight points from Oli Glasse – including two penalties – guided the Tigers to victory although they had hold off a late Hull fight back to pick up the four welcome points.

The win completed a league double over Hull, having won 27-24 in the first encounter in November and sees the Tigers climb to fourth place in National League Two North.

In what was a physical and demanding encounter, the early exchanges were hard with both teams testing each other’s defence but neither side was able to put any points on the board.

The Tigers set piece was working well and with a solid scrum and accurate lineout, the backs were given good ball to work with and made a number of line breaks to get behind the Hull defence.

Number eight Tom Ailes was having a great game, making plenty of hard yards from the base of the scrum while young hooker Matt Gallagher was also showing his great footwork.

Hull got the first points on the board with a penalty in the 36th minute but in virtually the last play of the half, the Tigers crossed for a wonderfully worked try with winger Harrison going over in the corner with Glasse adding the extras to make it 7-3.

The second half was just as intense and physical as the first with both teams giving their all.

Tigers went further ahead with a well taken 38-yard penalty from Glasse in the 48th minute who then popped over another six minutes later and the home side led 13-3 going in to the final quarter.

But Hull hit back with a converted try with 10 minutes remaining to set up a nervy finale but the Tigers held firm to end their losing run and seal a 16th win over the season.

Despite that losing run, Hazzelby said confidence remained high in the camp.

“What a great response after the disappointment of the three previous results,” said the coach. “We had trained well in the week and spirits were high despite the fact that we had a number of key players missing due to injury and unavailability.

“We played with good variety in our play, patient build up and securing possession.

“However, the last 10 minutes were tense but we were able to see the game out and a hard earned four point win.”

“This was a solid performance from the boys but perhaps we should have scored more by turning pressure into points.”

The Tigers have another tough test on Saturday in a rearranged league clash with Loughborough Students, one place below them.