An 82nd-minute strike by substitute Jack Coop gave Prestwich Heys bank holiday derby glory with a 1-0 win against Avro at the Vestacare Stadium on Monday.

Heys were in confident mood after securing their first league win of the season against Winsford United on Saturday and looked eager to carry on where they left off.

As early as the fourth minute James Dwyer fired over from 20 yards after good work by wing-back Krisel Prifti.

Avro were eager to show this was going to be a competitive afternoon when striker Louis Potts brought a save from recent Heys signing Ryan Livesey just before the visitors responded as Prifti fired over a free-kick shortly after.

Concern in the Heys contingent of the crowd followed in the 17th minute as a clash of heads left midfield captain Brad Sixsmith down with a nasty head wound and he had to be replaced by Oscar Campbell, with Dwyer being passed the captain’s armband.

Both sides continued to battle to get the upper hand in midfield with the game starting to reflect its ‘derby day’ build-up and with some strong challenges going in it was becoming apparent that this was going to be a very tight game with both teams really going for it.

Heys’ Anthony Hall saw another free-kick go over the bar in the 28th minute before Avro went close on the stroke of half-time with a cross-cum-shot, also over the bar.

So ended a goalless first-half with few clear-cut chances but plenty of endeavour from both sides and one sensed this was a warm-up for what was to be served after the break.

Into the second half and it was the home side who started the brighter and Heys keeper Livesey was really beginning to show why manager Matt Barnes had brought him to the club, making a great save on 57 minutes before then cutting out a dangerous cross from Avro striker Joe Rathbone.

Heys Krisel Prifti (left) and Scot Cullen close down AVRO’s Jack Morrow. Picture: Beth Lee

Heys' Krisel Prifti (left) and Scot Cullen close down AVRO’s Jack Morrow. Picture: Beth Lee

In front of the keeper, Dwyer was excelling in the captain’s role delivering a commanding display at centre half and as the half went on this helped increase Heys’ intensity as they started to get on top.

On the hour striker Coop replaced Hall and Heys quickly stepped up a gear with a series of chances.

Joe Rothwell shot from 18 yards to bring a save out of Avro keeper Jordan Latham who then got down to a 20-yard shot from Prifti just after.

A lovely move followed on 74 minutes for the visitors with Coop exchanging passes with Rothwell, but he dragged his shot wide from 12 yards.

The pressure was mounting but Avro were still keeping Heys alert at the back in a free-flowing contest that was just lacking a goal.

It was Jamie Hill next to show for Heys in the 80th minute with a fantastic run down the left, cutting inside and launching a terrific shot from 18 yards that had Latham beaten before clipping the right-hand post and bouncing clear.

Two minutes later the deadlock was broken.

A long ball from the impeccable Dwyer found Coop, 18 yards out, who rounded keeper Latham and calmly slotted into the back of the net sending the large contingent of Heys fans wild.

It was the visitors who continued to press with Coop shooting over from 30 yards shortly after and substitute Max White missing a header when unmarked six yards out.

Avro rallied with Livesey saving an 18-yard shot in the dying embers and finally the referee blew for full-time to the relief of the visiting supporters delighted with two wins over the bank holiday period and a clearly delighted manager Matt Barnes joined in the celebrations with players and fans at the end.

One senses Prestwich have now settled down in the North West Counties Premier Division after a difficult start and can look forward to progressing in the forthcoming weeks.

Heys: Ryan Livesey, Joe Rothwell, Krisel Prifti, Scot Cullen, Adrian Bellamy, James Dwyer, Jamie Hill, Brad Sixsmith, Niall Sultan, Sam Dickinson, Anthony Hall. Subs: Matty Carr, Jack Coop (for Hall 60), Oscar Campbell (for Sixsmith 21), Max White (for Sultan 56), Sean Cookson.

Heys will go looking for a third successive win when they travel to Vauxhall Motors tomorrow night (7.45pm).

Saturday’s 4-1 win against Winsford at Adie Moran Park come courtesy of goals from Niall Sultan, Coop, Oscar Campbell and Anthony Hall.

Meanwhile, Heys Youth start their North West Youth Alliance Premier Division campaign on Sunday when they make the short trip to face neighbours Irlam (2.30pm).