Radcliffe FC have confirmed manager Lee Fowler has left the club by mutual consent.

Fowler left his post on Wednesday evening with Boro in 20th place in NPL Premier Division having won just two of their opening 12 games

A brief statement from the club said: "All at Radcliffe Football Club would like to thank Lee for his considerable contribution to development at the club."

A further statement will be issued in due course.

Fowler's last game in charge was a 3-1 loss away at Morpeth Town on Tuesday night - a seventh league defeat of the season.

It was the second time in four days Boro were beaten by the Highwaymen with exactly the same scoreline having been knocked out of the FA Cup on Saturday.

Despite this, it was Radcliffe who took the lead on 19 minutes. Bobby Grant managed to glance a head on the ball from a Matty Crothers corner, with the ball kissing the far post on its way into the back of the net.

However that lead evaporated just two minutes later as Morpeth grabbed an equaliser through Liam Henderson.

The number nine headed home from close range after some good play down the right from Jack Foalle and Joseph Walton, with Walton putting in the final ball to find Henderson who got in front of the defender to head home.

Six minutes later, the home side managed to find another goal to put them in front, only nine minutes after Radcliffe found the lead.

Midfielder Ben Sayer found the top left corner of Cam Belford’s net from 18 yards, after the Radcliffe defence failed to clear the forward pressure moments before.

Morpeth were not done there as, with seconds to go until half time, they found a third to send them comfortably into the interval with a 3-1 lead.

Henderson tried running in on goal with the ball but Tom Miller denied him with a brilliant challenge, however the ball dropped kindly to the feet of Andrew Johnson who made no mistake in tapping the ball into the bottom corner to extend the Highwaymen’s advantage further going into the break.

Ten minutes after the interval, Radcliffe should have shortened the scoreline after Adam Dawson missed a glorious chance which was saved by Dan Lowson.

With plenty of time and space to shoot, he hit a one-on-one chance straight at the goalkeeper who could not believe his luck as the ball came off his leg and the defenders cleared.

Morpeth winger Jack Foalle could have given the home side a fourth on two occasions, however the 27-year-old was denied by a fingertip Belford save as the ball flashed just wide of the far post on the other attempt, both from very scorable positions with acres of space to run into.

Radcliffe struggled to find the answer when going forward in the latter stages as they tried to claw back the scoreline, with the Morpeth players standing firm to wind down the clock and keep their lead intact.

The three goals in the first half from the Northumberland side were enough to claim the victory, almost exactly like last Saturday’s game against the same opponents.

Morpeth’s three goals in the first half at the weekend were enough to see them progress from the FA Cup Third Qualifying Round with victory in Radcliffe.

The visitors took the lead through left-back Micky Turner then, with five minutes to go until half time, the away side doubled their lead with a rather fortuitous goal which found its way into the back of the net directly from a corner from Liam Noble before right-back Joe Walton made it three before the interval.

Radcliffe have a tough test on Saturday when they welcome third-placed Buxton to the Neuven Stadium.