After 90 minutes of cut and thrust Prestwich Heys were edged out 3-2 by title-chasing Skelmersdale United at Adie Moran Park on Saturday, writes Stephen Howard.

In a hugely entertaining game of tight margins, it was a little bit of extra quality in key moments that swung the game the visitor’s way - a victory that them within two points of NWCL Premier Division leaders Macclesfield, whom Heys defeated at the turn of the year.

This performance by Matt Barnes side arguably dispelled any notions that their victory over The Silkmen was a fluke. Heys are now looking like a side that can go toe-to- toe with anyone. There would have been few complaints had they come away with a point such was their contribution to the game.

The visitors broke the deadlock in the 31st minute when Heys keeper Tom Simpson did well to keep out a fierce Danny Mitchley shot that proved to hot to hold, the ball breaking to Elliott Morris to fire home.

Heys levelled four minutes in to the second half when a high ball into the box was hooked on by Greg Daniels and Lee Knight was quick to react, showing great dexterity to lift the ball from 10 yards over Ben Barnes and into the net.

The hosts now had the bit between their teeth. A last-ditch tackle thwarted Jack Coop and then Daniels broke into the box before curling a shot wide.

Skem rode the storm and on the hour replied by taking the lead in what was a carbon copy of their first goal, Simpson saving well to deny Howard but Morris slotting home the rebound.

Heys spirit was not dimmed. Daniels surged from halfway into the box to force a fine save from Barnes and then a similar run by Joe Rothwell was ended by the outstretched leg of the keeper and a scrambled clearance.

And they struck again in the 73rd minute Skelmersdale struck again when Lloyd Ellams shot from range looked to be going wide but somehow ended up in the net with Simpson as seemingly deceived as everyone.

Heys pulled on back in injury time when Lee Grimshaw bustling his way into the box to shoot into the far corner.

Heys remain at Adie Moran Park on Saturday as they host third-placed Wythenshawe Town (3pm) before travelling to Runcorn Town next Tuesday night (7.45pm)