Despite a frantic final 10 minutes in which Lee Grimshaw saw a chance cleared off the line Prestwich Heys could not find a way through to beat Squires Gate in a 0-0 draw at a windy Brian Addison Stadium on Saturday.

After two successive draws in the league, Heys were looking for three points to further ensure safety and their place in a tight NWCL Premier Division for another season with manager Matt Barnes resisting the temptation to start the resigned midfielder James Dwyer, who started on the bench.

It was the visitors who were quickly out of the blocks with winger Bailey Dawes darting down the left, but his cross evaded everyone, zipping past the post and then in the fifth minute Jack Coop fired over the bar from 25 yards.

Heys were getting control of the midfield early with Greg Daniels looking lively as the wind made life difficult for both sides and as a result chances were few and far between, although James Boyd had a shot cleared off the line for the hosts on 36 minutes after rounding Heys keeper Russ Saunders.

In the second half, Heys continued to have the upper hand but struggled to find that final pass to break the deadlock. Greg Daniels, out on the right, on 65 minutes beat a defender but his cross was cut out by Squires Gate keeper Alan McLachlan.

Heys captain Brad Sixsmith replaced Sam Dickinson as the Heys midfield pressed up. Dawes again used his pace, this time down the middle, after a Squires gate corner was cleared by the Heys back four. The youngster beat two defenders but couldn’t get a shot in as keeper McLachlan ran out to block.

Shortly after it was Daniels again to the fore with a deep cross that just evaded everyone at the far post and you sensed one goal would win this game and it was likely to be from the visitors.

So, into the last ten minutes and as tension mounted, in the 84th minute, a shot from Prestwich striker Jack Coop rebounded to Lee Grimshaw on the edge of the box who fired the ball back in.

It looked to be flying into the net, but to the astonishment of the large Heys contingent in ran Nathan Bartram from nowhere to save the day for the home side clearing off the line.

This rejuvenated Squires Gate who threw everything into the final few minutes hitting the bar with a shot from Okon and Joel Mills could have won it at the death seeing his shot thwarted by Heys keeper Saunders as the game finished goalless with Heys taking a valuable point.

n On Tuesday night, Heys slipped to a first defeat in four games as a 63rd-minute penalty proved decisive as they went down 1-0 to local rivals Avro at Adie Moran Park.

The key moment came when James Dwyer brought Michael Afuye down in the area and Liam Ellis’ effort had enough power to beat the dive of Russell Saunders.

Heys travel to Winsford United on Saturday (3pm) and are also on the road at Longridge Town next Tuesday night (7.45pm).