ANDY Bishop ensured Bury got their League Two season off to a flying start with an opening day victory over Brentford.

Alan Knill's side picked up from where they left off last season to take the sting out of the Bees and add to the buzz that is gaining momentum at Gigg Lane.

Bury had to weather an early storm from Brentford, but the result was never in doubt once the Shakers got into their stride.

“They started really brightly, but after that we were pretty good and deserved to win the game,” said Bury boss Knill.

“I'm delighted with the team and everybody played a part. The team spirit we have is great, it's not about who has the most money. It's about who wants to win the most.

“We had that attitude at the end of last year, and we think the players we have added over the summer have got the same spirit.

“It is all about winning, it doesn't matter what else you do here – we make it that you have to be a winner.”

Bury certainly showed they have the ability and resilience to surprise some of the so-called bigger clubs in League Two this season.

Debutant goalkeeper Wayne Brown was forced to make a stunning reflex save from Alan Connell in the opening exchanges, while Connell's strike partner Nathan Elder was on target with a couple of weak headers.

Bury's first real opportunity of the game came in the 20th minute when the Brentford defence failed to adequately deal with Michael Jones' dangerous cross from the left and Paul Scott headed agonizingly wide from six yards.

The Shakers were looking dangerous from set-plays, and Ben Futcher headed a Brian Barry-Murphy corner wide on the half-hour mark.

The home side should have gone into the lead in the 38th minute when Jones picked up a mis-placed pass in midfield, but, with a clear run at goal ahead of him, he shot inches wide of the far post.

At the other end, Stephen Dawson had to clear off the line when Brown made a hash of a Brentford corner and a goalmouth scramble ended with a shot on goal.

However, Bury went into the lead in the 42nd minute through Bishop, who rifled home with his left foot after good work from Elliott Bennett, Glynn Hurst and Jones had fashioned an opening.

Bury never looked like letting their lead slip from there on in, and they had a great opportunity to double their lead in the 70th minute when Hurst latched on to Bennett's ball and hit the post.

Brentford were restricted to long-range efforts, with Connell and Kevin O'Connor forced to try their luck from distance.

Bury held on, however, for a deserved three points and they can now look forward to a mouth-watering Carling Cup clash against Burnley at Gigg on Tuesday evening.

BURY (4-4-2): Brown, Scott, Buchanan, Futcher, Sodje, Bennett, Dawson, Barry-Murphy, Jones (Racchi 90), Hurst (Baker 84), Bishop. Subs not used: Cresswell, Belford, Rouse.

BRENTFORD (4-4-2): Hamer, Newton, Wood (Johnson 74), Bennett, Osborne, Williams (Ademola 76), O'Connor, Bean, Poole, Connell, Elder. Subs not used: Wilson, Artus, Brown.

Attendance: 2,819 (393 Brentford)