BURY remain in League One’s bottom four after Oldham won last night’s derby with virtually the last kick of the game.

An away victory would have edged the Shakers above Oldham and out of the relegation zone, and they fought back to make it 1-1 on 47 minutes as Eoin Doyle’s 24th-minute opener for the hosts was cancelled out by Tom Aldred’s first Bury goal.

Three minutes of stoppage time were then indicated but the game had gone into a fourth extra minute when substitute Aaron Amadi-Holloway volleyed home to make it three away defeats in a week for the Shakers.

Bury boss Lee Clark had stuck with a 3-4-1-2 formation, with Jay O’Shea’s recent substitute appearances rewarded with his first start since the opening day.

Chris Humphrey and Rohan Ince also returned to the starting line-up while keeper Leo Fasan was straight back in after Joe Murphy played in Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at Southend.

The Shakers played some neat stuff in the early stages but were let down by too many wayward passes, allowing Oldham to keep coming back at them.

Fasan had to be alert from Jack Byrne’s inswinging free-kick, diving low to his left to keep out Doyle’s glancing header, before ex-Bury captain Peter Clarke sent a tame header wide from the resulting corner.

With O’Shea linking well behind the front two and Ince trying to spread the play, the Shakers showed more promising signs, and although Michael Smith turned Clarke in the Oldham box, Cameron Dummigan made a covering tackle.

But the hosts broke the deadlock after playing right through the middle of the Shakers’ defence. Former Bury loanee Dan Gardner found ex-Bolton striker Craig Davies, who played in Doyle to convert his 10th goal of the season.

Fasan then parried a 20-yard strike by Davies but Bury regrouped, with Smith bundling O’Shea’s diagonal ball wide. Queensy Menig and Jermaine Beckford then had shots blocked at each end, before O’Shea curled a free-kick over while Humphrey’s header was saved by Johny Placide right on half time.

Moments after the restart, O’Shea took on the home defence down the left, chipping from the byline for Aldred to head back across goal and in off the post.

Placide parried Smith’s shot after the home keeper made a hash of a deep cross and the introduction of Mihai Dobre gave the Shakers another lift.

Within seconds of replacing Humphrey, the on-loan winger exchanged passes with Leigh down the left before dragging a poor shot well wide.

Oldham replied with Fasan having to deny Byrne and Doyle. Byrne then fizzed a long-range effort just over before Davies fired into the side-netting.

And Davies twice went close before a breathless spell of stoppage time. Oldham sub Paul Green headed just wide before Placide kept out Jermaine Beckford’s shot at the second attempt. But Latics then broke for Amadi-Holloway to stun the Shakers.

Match ratings

Bury (3-4-1-2): Leo Fasan 7; Phil Edwards 7, Eoghan O’Connell 7, Tom Aldred 7; Chris Humphrey 6, Rohan Ince 7, Callum Reilly 7, Greg Leigh 7; Jay O’Shea 8; Michael Smith 7, Jermaine Beckford 7.

Subs: Dobre 7 (for Humphrey 56), Laurent 6 (for Ince 79), Tutte 5 (for Smith 89).

Not used: Bunn, Maguire, Shotton, Maloney.

Oldham (4-4-2): Placide; Dummigan, Clarke, Bryan, Hunt; Menig, Fane, Gardner, Byrne; Doyle, Davies.

Subs: Omrani (for Menig 60), Green (for Byrne 87), Amadi-Holloway (for Davies 87).

Not used: Flynn, Gerrard, Wilson, Ruddy.

Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire).

Attendance: 5,183 (752 visiting).