BURY boosted their hopes of claiming League One survival after winning 2-1 at home to AFC Wimbledon tonight.

Youth product George Miller made it three goals in three games after returning on loan from Middlesbrough by heading the Shakers into a 17th-minute lead.

The Dons equalised against the run of play through a Phil Edwards own goal on 28 minutes but Harry Bunn put Bury back in front two minutes before half time.

That proved enough to make it seven points from nine for the Shakers and although they remain bottom of the table, they are now nine points from safety.

Manager Ryan Lowe made four changes to the side which drew 1-1 at home to Blackpool on Saturday, with Nathan Cameron and Stephen Dawson unable to start two games in four days.

James Hanson and Chris Maguire dropped to the bench, with Bunn, Miller, Adam Thompson and Josh Laurent coming in.

The visitors started with a three-man defence, with ex-Shaker Tom Soares playing as a holding midfielder, and the Shakers threatened to run riot in a first half that was Bury's best of the season, particularly out wide.

Dons keeper George Long had to save a Bunn shot inside 30 seconds and Miller's header tested Long before the 20-year-old striker was inches away from a Zeli Ismail cross.

More good work from Ismail resulted in Neil Danns firing over from just inside the box and a goalbound Mayor shot being blocked.

But the pressure finally paid off as Jon Meades tripped Mayor in the box, and although Long saved Bunn's tame spot-kick low to his right, the ball bounced up for Miller to head home.

Ismail and Bunn went close to doubling Bury's lead yet they almost found themselves behind just after the half-hour mark.

Firstly, a corner was cleared as far as former Bolton midfielder Liam Trotter, who volleyed the ball back towards from 20 yards. His shot seemed to be drifting wide but Edwards tried to hack it clear, only to slice it into his own net.

Andy Barcham then picked out Joe Pigott in the left side of the Bury box and the Shakers breathed a sigh of relief as he lifted the ball just over the bar.

But Lowe's men regrouped and Miller held off his man in the box to lay off for Bunn, who forced a close-range shot past Long.

Moments later the home fans thought Mayor had made it 3-1 but Long had turned his shot into the side-netting.

After the break, Mayor and Bunn tested Long before the visitors began to put Bury under some pressure.

A glancing header by Dons substitute Harry Forrester came back out off Connor Ripley's far post before the Bury keeper tipped over a Meades header to secure victory.