RADCLIFFE FC bounced back from a frustrating draw against bottom club Goole at the weekend to ease into the third round of the Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy with a 2-0 win at Atherton LR on Tuesday night.

A goal in each half from Kurt Sherlock and James Hooper was enough to see off LR, who play their league football in the First Division of the Hallmark Security League, two levels below Boro.

Seeing off lowly opposition proved a lot more difficult for Jon Macken’s men on Saturday, however, as they fell behind at Evo-Stik North’s basement side Goole after just 15 seconds.

Carl Stewart chested down a Boro clearance and rifled a volley into the roof of the net from 25 yards to give the hosts the perfect start.

Devante Jacobs and Sherlock both missed chances to equalise before Hooper finally got Radcliffe back on level terms in the 65th minute.

A corner was cleared as far as the Boro marksman on the edge of the box and he placed his low shot just inside the post.

Rather than pushing on for the win, Radcliffe were pushed back in the closing stages and it took a superb save from Kyle Haslam to deny Devonte Morton claiming a late winner for the home side.

And Boro were forced to see out the game with 10 men after Sherlock was shown a red card for retaliation.

The result extended Radcliffe’s unbeaten run in the league to six matches, but a third straight draw failed to boost their position of 18th in the table.

Tuesday night’s comfortable win at LR continued Boro’s steady if unspectacular progression under Macken.

Jacobs had a great chance saved in the seventh minute, but he turned provider five minutes later to square the ball for Sherlock and set up a simple tap-in.

Ashley Woodhead fired a shot against the post for the hosts and forced Haslam into a smart save to palm away a free kick before the break.

Carl Peers headed over as Boro reasserted their dominance at the start of the second half. And Hooper finished off a nice move to double their advantage and seal the tie on 65 minutes.