RAMSBOTTOM United were 3-1 winners against Kendal Town in their penultimate home fixture of the season.

A lively start to the contest saw Jon Robinson brought down on the edge of the area by a visiting defender who could easily have seen a red card.

With 12 minutes on the clock the Rams broke the deadlock with a well-constructed goal, skipper Dean Stott’s pass finding Tom Brooks and he found the bottom corner of the goal from a tight angle to give the hosts the ideal start.

Phil Dean almost doubled the advantage with a free kick but it was well saved by Matt Johnson.

The lead was wiped out midway through the first period as good link-up play between Gareth Arnison and Gary Basterfield resulted in the latter scoring with the visitors’ first meaningful attempt on goal.

With no further chances at either end the half ended 1-1.

Rammy started the second half brightly with Greg Daniels shooting over the bar and then setting up an opportunity for Rushworth, but his effort sailed wide of the target.

The Rams continued to pose the greater attacking threat and, after penalty claims for handball were waved away, Daniels put a header against the bar.

A second Rammy goal came with 20 minutes left.

Robinson’s well-timed run was matched by Lee Gaskell’s astute pass and the veteran forward registered his first goal since returning to the Riverside in late March.

Kendal’s hopes suffered a blow when midfielder Sam Staunton-Turner was sent off for a crunching tackle on Stott but three minutes later Robinson also saw a straight red to even up the numbers.

Rammy’s third goal arrived seven minutes from time.

A free kick was converted by Dean, when he sent the ball around the wall and into the bottom corner to give the home team some breathing space.

Kendal rallied and had chances to get back in it as Richard Seear sent a penalty wide and later was booked when he looked to have scored but was adjudged to have used a hand instead of his head.

That was enough for the Rams to see out their 10th league win of the season.