MISSED penalties during the game and the ensuing shootout proved costly for Ramsbottom as they exited the FA Cup at the hands of Kidsgrove.

With the replay unable to produce a winner after 120 minutes of play, Rammy’s takers could not match up to Sam Ashton’s heroics, though they proved in vain as Kidsgrove won the deciding shootout 3-2.

On a cold early-autumn night at the Riverside, Rammy came out fighting and in the first minute Jamie Rother hit the post with a stinging shot. Shortly after, Jerome Wright had a shot saved when through on goal.

The early exchanges set the tone for the night as Rammy huffed and puffed for an opening goal, though Kidsgrove were denied when Anthony Malbon lobbed Sam Ashton but the hosts were saved by an offside flag.

Rammy continued to create chances and Ryan Ellison missed the target with a header, Jack Higgs also failing to test the keeper.

Ramsbottom began the second half as they had started the first and were rewarded for their efforts when Wright was felled under a challenge from Kidsgrove midfielder Rhys Thompson on the hour mark. However, Wright failed to convert the penalty as he sent his shot wide.

Yet the drama continued to unfold as Thompson again went in hard in a challenge, this time on Rams captain Dean Stott, a tackle which resulted in the midfielder being shown a red card.

The home side continued to huff and puff as extra time loomed. In injury time substitute Ben Deegan could have won the game, only for his effort to be charged down by the defence and blocked by keeper Dom Kurasik.

Extra time began with more Rams using the extra man to create more chances.

Midfielder Rother saw two openings go amiss and Lee Gaskell’s attempt also failed to hit the net.

Despite the misses, the home side played the ball around with confidence and posed constant threats from advancing full-backs Phil Dean and Rob Henry.

In the final 15 minutes Kidsgrove enjoyed their best spell, with Malbon forcing Ashton into double saves and the striker almost won it for Kidsgrove at the death, failing to test Ashton after after twisting and turning past several blue shirts.

Rammy could also have won the tie in extra-time when a Wright corner came to the unmarked Gaskell who failed to make the most of the space he had.

With no goals in two hours’ the teams went to a penalty shootout.

The visitors took an early advantage, leading 2-1 after Rammy pair Gaskell and Wright failing with their spot-kicks.

The pendulum swung back in the Rams’ favour as Dean levelled after Malbon failed to put Kidsgrove 3-1 up.

Rumemio Barai kept his cool to put Kidsgrove 3-2 ahead and Stott could not convert his penalty, meaning Kidsgrove won the shootout 3-2 to progress to the next round, in which they take on Atherton Collieries.

Despite the defeat, Rams boss Mark Fell remained positive and said: “I’m proud of the lads who took the penalties. To be honest I’m proud of the way we played, we continued to do the right things’.

‘We didn’t have the cutting edge, but some nights that happens. Points-wise we’re in a good position and squad wise I think we’re in a much better position than we were last season. We go again and stick together as a team. That’s all we can do.”

Rammy had taken a point from their Evo-Stik West match at Mossley on Saturday, coming back from a goal down to draw 1-1 with their hosts, who played 70 minutes with 10 men.

Dieter Downey was dismissed for his foul on Luke Thompson, but Adam Jones headed Mossley ahead two minutes into the second half.

Gaskell equalised for the Rams, firing in after Tom Brooks’ blocked shot fell kindly for him.