RAMSBOTTOM United made an immediate response to last week’s galling defeat to Runcorn Linnets, beating hosts Kidsgrove Athletic 2-0.

Two goals in the space of five minutes late in the first half gave Rammy victory in a game played in treacherous conditions.

Ten minutes in the visitors created the first chance when Jamie Rainford surged into the penalty area before squaring the ball to Nialle Rodney.

He looked certain to open the scoring by side footing towards an empty net but Shaun Rhodes made a timely block.

The Rams wide man Nic Evangelinos brought the first notable save of the game from home stopper Dom Kurasik while it took the hosts until midway through the half to produce their first strike at goal, full-back Rhys Thompson’s effort deflected to safety.

The match-defining five minute spell was sparked by Evangelinos’ superb run, cleverly sidestepping three defenders before unleashing a shot that Kurasik could only parry into the path of Rainford.

On his first start for the Rams he confidently slotted in his first goal for the club to give them a deserved lead.

The lead was doubled in spectacular fashion just minutes later when Rainford received the ball wide on the left.

After cutting inside a couple of challenges he sent a rasping shot from 30 yards into the top corner of the net.

Just before the break Jamie Rother almost made it 3-0 but, though his low, skimming shot from the edge of the area looked to have Kurasik in trouble, it went just wide of the mark.

Ramsbottom had chances to secure the win soon after the restart but Rother was denied by Kurasik and, after Jamie Moran’s through ball set Rainford up for his hat-trick, he fired his shot wide.

Sam Ashton was finally called into action midway through the second half when Chris Baker’s cross found substitute Will Saxon but his low drive was palmed to safety by the keeper.

Rammy almost increased the lead when Evangelinos homed in on goal but Kurasik was quickly off his line to block the shot and offer his side some hope of getting back into the game.

Both keepers had little to trouble them as the game drew to a close apart from some long-distance efforts on goal.

The home team did have several set-pieces opportunities towards the end of the game but the Rams’ defence held firm – as it had done throughout the day – and saw out a victory that avenged their FA Cup penalty shootout defeat at Kidsgrove earlier in the campaign.

The Rams have conceded only one goal away from The Riverside Stadium in their five league matches under Chris Willcock, and have clocked up a hugely impressive run of 10 away matches without defeat in all competitions.

The win also meant they climbed to seventh in Evo-Stik West.

On Saturday Ramsbottom have an intriguing FA Trophy first-round tie at Workington.