AN unforgettable and historic night for Ramsbottom United saw them share 10 goals with National League side Fylde.

The Rams twice fought back from two goals down to lead 5-4 through Nic Evangelinos’ 83rd-minute goal – completing his hat-trick – but a Fylde equaliser four minutes from time means the two sides will meet in a replay on Tuesday.

Chris Willcock made three changes from the team that beat Skelmersdale 6-0 on January 26, with Kelvin Lugsden, Khalil Osi-Efa and Jamie Rainford making way for Luke Thompson, Jamie Rother and Jason Carey, who came into the side facing the third-best defence in the National League.

The first shot for the Rams came on three minutes, midfielder Eddie Moran shooting just wide, before Fylde’s Danny Rowe had two good chances within a minute.

Rowe’s first shot was fired over the bar and he was denied a second time by defender Ryan Ellison, who made a last-ditch sliding challenge.

Fylde took the lead on 10 minutes, when a ball was played across to Serhat Tasdemir – who looked to be in an offside position – and he slotted home for the evening’s first goal.

Rammy had a penalty shout four minutes later when a Fylde defender appeared to have handled in the area but referee Joe Hull turned down the appeals.

The first yellow card was shown to Fylde’s top scorer Rowe for a late challenge on Rams right-back Kyle Jacobs, the weather perhaps making the challenge appear worse than it actually was.

Fylde doubled their lead on 33 minutes when Nick Haughton picked up a stray pass, found space outside the area and put in a shot from just inside the penalty area that found its way through the Rams defence and into the back of the net.

But Rammy roared back with two goals in two minutes to level what was becoming a fast and fascinating cup tie.

Luke Thompson scored with a great header in front of the Jack Wolfenden Stand which gave the fans hope, and moments later came the equaliser on 39 minutes, Evangelinos putting the ball through a sea of bodies from Tom Kennedy’s dangerous ball in.

With half time approaching and no slackening of the pace in an end-to-end contest, Fylde edged ahead again just before stoppage time.

A superb free kick by Kennedy looked to be heading into the top corner, but he was denied as keeper Russell Griffiths pulled off a great save. And within seconds, Fylde broke and turned defence into attack effectively to restore their lead.

Jordan Tunnicliffe towered above the Rams defence and headed home to put the Coasters ahead, completing an exhilarating 45 minutes in atrocious conditions.

Having gone in at the break frustrated by the late goal, Ramsbottom began the second half in the worst possible style as the visitors once more established a two-goal lead.

Two minutes into the second half Tasdemir made the most of a defensive error by the Rams to find space behind the defence and notch a simple fourth.

But Rammy were far from finished as Evangelinos netted his second goal of the evening on the hour mark, drilling his shot low and hard past Griffiths.

Pushing forward with increased confidence, just five minutes later the Riverside erupted as Ruben Jerome – recently on as a substitute for Iywrah Gooden – poached another Rams equaliser, his cross-shot somehow finding the back of the net.

The volume went even louder on 83 minutes when the Rams went 5-4 up, Evangelinos completing his hat-trick as he bundled the ball home from close range.

It was a remarkable – and deserved – fightback in a second half dominated by the home side.

However, there was still time for more drama as Fylde levelled just three minutes later.

A low cross from the left was sliced into the path of Andy Bond who knocked in the evening’s 10th goal at the back post.

Five minutes of stoppage time brought no further goals but it was a game that will stay long in the memory of those who turned out on a bitterly-cold evening in driving rain.

The Rams return to Evo-Stik West action this weekend with a match at home to Newcastle Town.

The following Tuesday brings their trip to the coast for the FA Trophy replay, with a place in the quarter-finals and a match against Carshalton Athletic or Barnet awaiting the winner.