SEDGLEY Park assistant coach Steve Hazzelby hopes the stirring second-half display that clinched victory at Chester last weekend can be built on when his side hosts National Two North leaders Caldy on Saturday.

The table-toppers have a perfect record of seven wins from seven at the start of the season and head to Park Lane five points ahead of third-placed Sedgley, whose 28-24 comeback triumph at Chester was their sixth of the campaign.

But while Hazzelby accepts the team face a tough test, he believes their own good form and last weekend’s spirited turnaround, gives them the confidence they need going into battle.

He told the club’s website: “Caldy will be the hardest challenge so far.

“We know that a top performance is needed if we are to take the honours but it should be a great game after last weekend.

“What happened in those closing minutes can only be described as miraculous and marvellous – it was a monumental effort from the players from 1 to 20.”

Chester looked to have got one over their old rivals from Sedgley when they stormed into a half-time lead of 17-0.

A converted Leon Simpson try on the hour gave Sedgley hope but when the 17-point advantage was restored for the hosts with just 14 minutes remaining, it looked bleak for the Tigers.

However, they were not finished and three converted tries in the final nine minutes from James Harper, Dan Openshaw and substitute Tom Aires sealed a famous comeback.

Hazzelby added: “Chester, on their artificial pitch, had taken the honours last season at their ground so we were looking to even up the score and put in a good performance.

“They started strongly and scored first with a penalty after six minutes and a converted try on 28 minutes.

“We did put pressure on their defence but were unable to break them down due to basic errors, turning possession over and giving away silly penalties.

“Chester extended their lead just before half time with another converted try giving them a 17-0 lead.

“We started the second half playing much better controlled rugby which resulted in a great converted try for flying winger Leon Simpson putting us back in the game.

“However Chester, to their credit, went further ahead with a converted try putting us three scores behind.

“The situation looked bleak for the team going into the last 10 minutes but the boys dug deep and playing some wonderful open rugby, young tight-head prop James Harper went over for a great converted try on 71 minutes.

“Three minutes later another beautiful score put us just three points behind going into the last five minutes.

“Then, quite unbelievably with the last play of the game, a converted try for Tom Ailes sealed it.”