Council chief urges people to support £1 million Radcliffe children's hospice appeal (From Bury Times)
When news happens, text BONEWS and your photos to 80360 or phone 01204 537274
Council chief urges people to support £1 million Radcliffe children's hospice appeal
4:58pm Thursday 19th December 2013 in News
COUNCIL leader Mike Connolly is urging residents to support an appeal to raise £1 million for new children’s hospice in Radcliffe.
Last month, broadcaster Sara Cox announced work was underway to create the Grace’s Place, named after a poorly two-year-old.
The hospice will be sited in Dumers Lane, at the previous home of Bury Hospice, which has now moved to Rochdale Old Road, in Bury.
It will provide palliative and end-of-life care for children living Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Heywood and Middleton, and is hoped to be completed by autumn next year.
Cllr Connolly said: “It was my privilege to attend the launch of the £5m funding appeal.
“It will help children from Bury and the wider area access superb services at a time of great need or crisis.
“As a Bury man born and bred, I know how generous the people of this borough are.
“I will certainly be making a donation, and I know we will do all we can to get behind this appeal.”
As the 50th children’s hospice in the country, it will look after youngsters suffering from cancers, neurological and genetic illnesses and mental and physical disabilities.
The new hospice has been named after two-year-old Grace Tinarwo, from Kirkholt, Rochdale, who has chromosomal abnormality Patau Syndrome.
Her condition, caused when the body’s cells contain extra genetic material, is so serious that most babies who have it do not survive birth or only live for a few days.
At the launch, Sara Cox said: “As soon as I heard about this place I had to be involved and I am going to throw myself into helping in any way I can. Hopefully this time next year I will be cutting a ribbon at the opening celebration.”
Go to graces-place.org
Comments are closed on this article.