Children’s campfire starts hay barn blaze

Children’s campfire starts hay barn blaze

Children’s campfire starts hay barn blaze

First published in News

SPARKS from small campfire started by children caused a blaze in a hay barn in Bury.

Firefighters were called to a farm off Bolton Road, adjacent to Watling Street, shortly before 5pm on Saturday after reports of smoke and a bad smell.

Several tonnes of hay inside a barn were alight and fire crews spent two and a half hours tackling the flames.

It is believed children had started a small campfire nearby, sparks from which drifted into the barn and set the hay alight.

The children had fled the scene by the time the firefighters arrived.

Steve Wilcock, watch manager at Bury fire station, said: “Children with matches are one of the biggest causes of nuisance fires, even in the current weather. Ideally we don’t want these fires at all, but we are mindful they are going to happen and would ask parents to always supervise their children if they are using matches.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree