Man has "lucky escape" from pizza blaze in Bury

Man has lucky escape from pizza fire in Bury

Man has lucky escape from pizza fire in Bury

First published in News
Last updated
by , Journalist

A SLEEPY resident had a lucky escape from a kitchen blaze in Bury — prompting a warning from fire chiefs.

Firefighters were called to the ground floor flat in Doctors Lane at 11.15pm last night when neighbours heard the smoke alarm.

Crews discovered a smoking pizza in the oven, which had been left to burn under the grill after the man fell asleep.

Firefighters say the smoke alarm saved the man’s life.

Angus Robinson, station manager, said: “There was a man inside the property who had fallen asleep after putting the grill on. Although he had a working smoke alarm it didn’t alert him. The crews woke him and assisted him to safety.

“Although the flat was heavily smoke logged, the man had a lucky escape. If the crews didn’t act as quickly as they did it could have been a lot worse. They effectively saved his life.”

For more information on fire safety, go to: manchesterfire.gov.uk.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:02pm Sun 17 Aug 14

Babbar Divino says...

A pizza walked into a newsagents and asked, "can I have 20 B&H and a box of matches please?"
A pizza walked into a newsagents and asked, "can I have 20 B&H and a box of matches please?" Babbar Divino
  • Score: -5

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree