BURY remain above neighbours Oldham in the League One table after holding the Latics to a goalless draw.

In a typical relegation clash, fierce tackles and extreme caution took centre stage as both sides struggled to create clear-cut opportunities.

Aaron Amadi-Holloway rattled the outside of the post for the hosts and Shakers substitute George Miller was denied by Connor Ripley late on but both sides had to settle for a share of the spoils.

The draw means Bury stay 19th in the table – three points above the drop zone.

Lee Clark made two changes to the side that lost to Gillingham last weekend.

Skipper Antony Kay returned from suspension to replace Tom Beadling, while striker Ryan Lowe came in for Tom Pope.

Andrew Tutte returned to training this week and was named on the bench, as was Manchester City loanee Kean Bryan who had not featured since October after tearing his thigh.

Bury edged the opening exchanges with the best chance falling to Taylor Moore inside 10 minutes.

The full-back met Greg Leigh’s cross at the back post and blasted a volley into the side-netting.

Cameron Burgess had a decent chance from a corner but his improvised back-heel was saved on the line.

But both sides struggled to pick up any momentum as the torrid turf made it difficult to spray the ball around.

Tope Obadeyi had the best chance for the Latics in the first half but the forward dragged his shot wide from the edge of the box.

Clark looked to add some more steel to his midfield in the second period as he introduced Tutte for Callum Styles at half time.

But it was Oldham that started the brightest and had the Shakers pinned back in their own box without really punishing the visitors.

On a swift counter-attack Lowe dinked a shot across goal which had Connor Ripley scrambling before the ball trickled wide.

Jacob Mellis had to withdraw through injury so Bryan entered the fray – his first game in five months.

The change forced Clark into a change of shape as he switched to a 4-4-2 diamond which saw skipper Kay move into defensive midfield.

The Latics continued to push for the opener and came a lick of paint away when Amadi-Holloway crashed a header against the outside of the post.

Super sub Miller was introduced on the hour mark and he twice tested Ripley but the goalkeeper kept him at bay to ensure the game ended goalless.