DAVID Flitcroft felt his Bury players showed they could scrap as well as sparkle as they held on for their first home win of the season.

The Shakers threatened to run riot in the first half, producing some fine football and charging into a 2-0 lead inside 15 minutes with goals by Tom Soares and Danny Rose.

But Plymouth pulled one back through a 66th-minute penalty by Reuben Reid and Flitcroft’s men were left hanging on after Danny Nardiello went off injured after all three substitutions had been made.

Bury ensured they saw out a victory they richly deserved, though, making it seven points from nine over the last week.

“The first half was complete and total domination in every aspect,” said the Bury boss.

“We dictated play, controlled the tempo, and when we sped the play up in the last third the quality was incredible so I’m delighted with the two goals.

“It should have been over by half time, we dominated play for long spells so deservedly got the three points.

“With Nards coming off we were hanging on there for 15 minutes, we had to dig in, but we did do. The lads embraced that brilliantly.”

Flitcroft named an unchanged side, sticking with the 3-5-2 formation he used during the midweek draw at Luton, and Bury were in front inside five minutes as Soares got a glancing header to Nicky Adams’ inswinging free-kick.

Rose then headed wide following a Soares cross but made no mistake shortly after to round off a superb crossfield move.

Danny Mayor cut inside before switching play to Soares, who found Ryan Lowe down the right, and his low cross allowed Rose to tap in at the far post for his third goal in three games.

Plymouth went close through Lewis Alessandra and Reid but Adams fired just wide either side of the break. Adams also cut through the visiting defence to square for Rose but the new signing was off balance as he fired wide from close range.

The visitors made a triple substitution on 53 minutes and shortly after Pablo Mills fouled Reid, with the Argyle striker smashing in the spot-kick.

Kelvin Mellor then went closest to claiming an equaliser, his late shot hitting team-mate Reid, while Cameron almost headed over his own keeper at the death.

“League Two’s like that, you’re not going to have it all your own way for 95 minutes,” Flitcroft added.

“Had we made it 3-0 there would have been no comeback, so it’s that cutting edge I’m after and that we’re working hard to achieve. We’re still a work in progress.

“To get that first home win was important. It was a fantastic three points and tops off a good week for us.”

Bury: Lainton 7; Cameron 7, Mills 7, McNulty 7; Soares 7, Adams 8, Etuhu 7, Tutte 7 (Hussey 6, 75), Mayor 7; Lowe 7 (Poole 82), Rose 8 (Nardiello 6, 70). Not used: O’Brien, Sedgwick, Thompson, Jalal.

Plymouth: McCormick; Mellor, Nelson, Hartley, McHugh (Purrington 53); Smalley (Cox 53), Norburn, O’Connor, Alessandra; Banton (Morgan 53); Reid. Not used: Blizzard, Harvey, Thomas, Butler.

Referee: James Adcock.

Attendance: 3,156 (355 away).