THE Fire Service has reminded people to be vigilant when it comes to tumble dryers.

The warning follows a house fire in Bury on Sunday when a kitchen was destroyed by a tumble dryer igniting.

In the last three years there has been a spate of tumble dryers setting on fire across the country.

Last July, firefighters were called out to a house in Stubbins Lane, Ramsbottom, after a tumble dryer caught fire.

And in November, a family was left devastated after losing everything – including their beloved pet cats – in a tumble dryer fire that tore through the ground floor of their home.

Sunday’s fire occurred in a semi-detached house on Lincoln Drive, Bury.

Fire crews from Bury, Whitefield and Agecroft attended shortly after noon and spent two hours at the scene.

Watch manager of Bury Fire Station, Mr Steve Wilcock, said: “The house is occupied by a single man and as soon as he saw the tumble dryer on fire, he shut the kitchen door and contacted us, which was exactly the right action to take.

“It was a ferocious fire and we needed to use breathing apparatus, two hose reels and thermal imaging cameras.”

Mr Wilcock said the fire was so severe that the walls of the kitchen were down to the bare brick.

He said: “When you look at the devastation caused – this man has lost his whole kitchen – it really is important to get online to check the safety of your appliances.

“If any white goods start making a noise or begin to smell, then it is vital to get them checked out.”

Three years ago, Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda tumble dryer owners were warned their appliances may pose a fire risk.

Two types of tumble dryers, condenser and vented dryers, manufactured by Indesit, were sold under the three brands in the UK and other countries between 2004 and 2015.

Generally, owners of tumble dryers are warned not to leave their appliances unattended and to clean fluff from the filter after each use.

In some cases a build-up of lint could come into contact with the dryer's heating element, which could pose a fire risk, it is advised.