FIRE crews in Bury had to tackle two kitchen fires today.

The first call came at 10.30am from the occupants of a bungalow in Lowercroft Road.

Bury watch manager Steve Wilcock said: "The husband thought steam was coming from the back of a dishwasher but his wife realised it was smoke.

"Three fire appliances from Bury, Bolton North and Whitefield attended for an hour and used a hose reel and breahing apparatus because the kitchen was heavily smoke-logged."

The dishwasher was a Neff model that was twelve years old.

Mr Wilcock said: "It serves as a reminder that if white goods are being used, it is always a good idea to be in the house while they are in operation. If this couple had gone out the house would most probably have been destroyed."

The second incident occurred at a house in Haig Roada at 5.30pm.

Mr Wilcock said: "A 30-year-old woman had turned on the wrong hob, and a nearby recipe book caught fire. The tiles and part of the kitchen units were damaged."

Mr Wilcock added: "The lady did have a smoke alarm but because she had mounted it on a vertical wall, it did not activate. It's important that smoke detectors are put on ceilings, at least 12 inches away from any walls and in a position where they can be tested."

Greater Manchester Fire Service fit smoke alarms for free. See its website to book an installation.