A WOMAN 'glassed' her own mother after an afternoon of strong lager and tequila sunrises, a court heard.

But a judge spared Jade Rhodes, 29, from an immediate prison sentence after he read of her "tragic background"

And Judge Paul Lawton implored her mother Joanne to keep her daughter, who has mental health problems, away from alcohol in future.

Minshull Street Crown Court heard that Rhodes and her mother had been drinking in Bury town centre all afternoon.

Prosecutor Sarah Wait said CCTV footage showed, at one point, the mother grabbing the defendant by the throat. before calming back down and resuming her seat.

Her daughter then picked up a pint glass and "stuck it into her mother's face", Miss Wait told the court.

The older woman sustained a black eye and a cut just below one of her eyes, the court heard, and it was initially thought she has scratches on her eyeball caused by broken glass.

Arrested over the attack, her daughter said she had "little recollection" of what had happened because of how much she had been drinking, said Miss Wait.

She told officers they had been drinking since around 1pm, before violence flared up at around 6.30pm.

The court heard Rhodes had only been given a suspended prison sentence back in June for an assault on an emergency worker.

Katy Laverty, defending, said her client, before then, had kept out of trouble since 2014.

Earlier this year she had been seriously affected by the death of a close friend and this had further impacted on her mental health, she added.

Rhodes, of Ripon Avenue, Whitefield, had pleaded guilty to unlawfully wounding her mother.

She was given a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and ordered to complete 25 rehabilitation activity days with the probation service.

Passing sentence, Judge Lawton said: "Here is a young woman, with mental health issues, on prescribed medication, so what's her mother doing drinking with her?"

The judge said the defendant needed "guidance" to ensure she steered clear of alcohol in future.

Judge Lawton said she had "one of the most tragic backgrounds I have read", which had persuaded him to pull back from an immediate prison term.

"The way of dealing with that is not at the bottom of a glass of tequlia sunrise or Stella Artois," he added.

The judge also activiated six weeks of her previous suspended prison sentence. But as she had been on remand at Styal Prison, this allowed her to be released following the hearing.