TWO men launched an attack on a takeaway armed with an axe and a baseball bat, a court heard.

At Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court, David Farley, prosecuting, described how on November 11 last year, Alan Timperley, 43, was spotted on CCTV at around 6.30pm attempting to break into a white BMW parked behind King Pizza on Ainsworth Road, Radcliffe.

The car belonged to the takeaway owner and he went out to confront Timperley who was using a lock knife to try and get into the vehicle.

Timperley, of Mather Street, Radcliffe, denied he was doing anything wrong and went the short distance home before returning with Daniel Dickenson, 33.

Timperley had armed himself with a baseball bat while Dickenson was holding an axe and what Mr Farley described as a "metal spike".

As the takeaway owner and his staff frantically started pulling down the metal shutters to the shop, the two men began attacking the building, breaking glass and damaging the shutters.

Police officers were called and the men ran off only to be arrested a short time later with Timperley claiming he had been threatened.

In a victim personal statement read to the court by Mr Farley, the owner of the takeaway said: “It has put me in fear of reopening my business.

“I may have to make deliveries on my own knowing the defendants live nearby."

Mr Farley added that Timperley had previous convictions for robbery, armed robbery, section 20 wounding, section 47 assault and breach of a restraining order with Dickenson, of Duke Street, Radcliffe, had convictions for wounding, arson and robbery.

Letters from both men apologising for their actions were read to the court with Timperley writing: “Given the opportunity I would like to apologise to the victims and would wish to pay them back for the damage caused.

“I know them as friends, and now I want to focus on getting back to being a loving father.”

Defending Timperley, David Morgan, said: David Morgan said: “He has suffered from a heroin addiction but has been taking a methadone prescription for a number of years.

“This was his neighbour. It was absolutely bizarre behaviour.

“He had friends over and he was intoxicated. He says they always got on famously beforehand and he is full of remorse.”

Dickenson wrote: “I just want everybody to know how deeply sorry I am - it was a moment of madness and this has been a wake up call.

“It should never have happened, I hope you see I’m not a bad person, I just make bad decisions."

Appearing from custody, Timperley and Dickenson, both pleaded guilty to offences of affray and possession of an offensive weapon.

Judge Tina Langdale sentenced them each to nine months imprisonment with both men allowed to leave the dock as they have already served the equivalent of half of the sentence.