This photo from September 1966 records the last days of the original St John’s Church in Bury.

The site of the church is now occupied by The Rock shopping centre; Marks and Spencer is close to where the church building stood.

The original St John’s dated back to 1770 and was built to meet the demands of Bury’s growing population.

Work on building a new St John’s Church on Sunny Avenue began in 1962 with the church being consecrated in 1964. This picture shows the original church lying empty.