Residents in Bury are being urged to check if they are eligible to be given hundreds of pounds to help with their energy bills.

A total of around 900,000 households across the UK are eligible to receive £400 as part of the government’s Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS AF).

The new scheme is designed to support people without a direct relationship to their energy supplier and those eligible will receive payments to their bank account to ensure that those requiring support receive payment as soon as possible.

The one-off, non-repayable lump sum falls under the "alternative funding" route of the EBSS AF.

It is also available for households who get their energy through a commercial contract or who are off-grid.

READ NEXT > Agency nurses paid more than double NHS at Bury hospital trust

You may be eligible to apply if your main home is:

  • a residential park home.
  • on a boat on a permanent residential mooring.
  • on a permanent Gypsy and Traveller site.
  • part of a heat network without an electricity meter.
  • in social or private rented accommodation which has a business. energy connection or a communal electricity supply.
  • off the mains electricity or gas grid.
  • in a care home or assisted living facility and you pay for some or all of your care (directly or through loss of pension or other benefits).
  • in a separate domestic home within a non-domestic property (such as a farmhouse or a flat above a shop).

READ NEXT > Figures show impact of lockdown on children’s mental health in Bury

You can apply online via a secure portal-

The payment will be made by the council on behalf of the government.

For those without online access, the contact centre helpline can be reached on 0808 175 3287, where a representative will guide them through the application process.

The helpline is open 8am to 6pm on Monday to Friday.