Properties in Radcliffe had to be evacuated this morning after a gas leak.

The call came from Harper Fold Road, Radcliffe, shortly before midday.

Three fire engines including two from Farnworth and one from Whitefield were sent to the scene.

Police cordoned the street and workers from Cadent Gas worked to establish the cause of the leak.

A fire service spokesperson from Whitefield confirmed the state of the investigation.

They said: "We have left it with Cadent Gas.

"They have now established that it did not originate in the house, it was external, finding its way in through the utilities ie the drains.

"They were left digging those up to find the origins of the leak."

Elsewhere staff Cams Primary School were advised to keep children inside with windows and doors closed and parents were urged to arrange an alternative pick up location at the end of the day.

Firefighters sprayed over affected area to prevent the leak from spreading.

Residents who were evacuated were given refuge in the nearby Phillips Community Centre.