The community have come together to support the family of a teenager "loved by many" who died after being stabbed in Whitefield.

The teenager, who has been named as 18-year-old Coby Tristram, died from his injuries after being stabbed in his left arm in an incident on Abingdon Avenue at around 5pm on Thursday, March 28.

Friends and family of Coby’s parents have launched a fundraiser to support them with funeral costs and help them give their son “the best send-off we can".

In a message to supporters, the fundraiser, which has already raised more than £2,500, said: “This GoFundMe has been set up by friends and family of Clare Tristram and David Walker to help raise as much money as we can to help towards the funeral costs of Coby Tristram.

READ MORE: Bury teenager tragically died after losing control of canoe in river

“No parent/siblings/family should have to go through what this family have been through this is a very heartbreaking time for Coby’s family.

“He was a great kid and was loved by many.

“Any donations will be greatly appreciated let’s give Coby the best send-off we can.”

A spokesperson for Rochdale Coroners' Court confirmed that Coby’s case had been referred to the coroner.

A murder investigation was launched last week after Coby died from his injuries around a fortnight after the incident. 

Three teenagers, including two 16-year-old boys and one 17-year-old, was later arrested and charged and are due to appear at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court on Friday, May 10.

Two of the teenagers were charged with possession of an offensive weapon and affray and the other, one of the two 16-year-old boys, was charged with grievous bodily harm assault, possession of an offensive weapon and affray.

Previously, a 49-year-old man and a 20-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

READ MORE: Bury: Upset as vulnerable elderly mum left with faulty front door

The 20-year-old, Charlie Harrison, of Mather Avenue, Bury, was charged with affray and possession of an offensive weapon and remanded to prison.

The 49-year-old man has been bailed with strict conditions.

Officers also arrested a 16-year-old boy on suspicion of attempted murder but was released with no further action.

A 33-year-old man was then later arrested for attempted murder and has been released on police bail.

Last week, Greater Manchester Police said it will be updating charges in due course.

If you would like to donate to the fundraiser for Coby’s family, please visit their GoFundMe page.