DANNY Rose's eighth minute header secured the bragging rights for Bury as they progressed to the third round of the FA Cup with a memorable victory at neighbours Rochdale, writes Mikael McKenzie.

The young forward was a constant thorn in the Dale back-line with his pace and movement and gave his side an early lead after converting Chris Hussey's corner.

The Shakers also had two goals ruled out, one for pushing after Peter Clarke headed in from a corner midway through the first half, and another for offside after Leon Clarke burst through seven minutes from time.

Bury boss David Flitcroft made one change from the defeat against Millwall last weekend as Rose came in for the injured Joe Riley to partner Leon Clarke up front.

The injury meant that Craig Jones slipped into right-back as the manager reverted to his favoured 4-4-2 formation.

The inclusion of Rose paid dividends almost instantly as he leapt the highest to head Hussey's eighth-minute set piece into the far corner.

Hussey almost created a second for the visitors when he whipped in another superb corner which fell at the feet of Leon Clarke but the striker was denied by goalkeeper Joel Castro Pereira from close range.

It took 20 minutes for the first Rochdale chance to arrive. Donal McDermott spurned the opportunity, breaking the offside trap then dragging a tame shot wide after being caught in two minds, with team-mates to his left in a better position.

In typical derby fashion, tackles flew in and the Shakers centre-midfielders Tom Soares and Kelvin Etuhu got themselves right into the thick of things with some early feisty challenges.

Craig Jones was the first man in the book in the 23rd minute for a late challenge on Ian Henderson, before Rochdale's Rhys Bennett joined him five minutes later for a foul on Nathan Cameron.

Peter Clarke thought he had doubled the Shakers' lead in the 35th minute when he headed Hussey's corner past the goalkeeper but the referee spotted a push from Soares and halted the celebrations.

Rochdale responded through James Hooper, who twice tried his luck from distance but both times the Bury defence put their bodies on the line to block.

The hosts threw everything at Bury as half-time approached but the Gigg Lane outfit defended resolutely as Henderson grew frustrated with the impressive Bury keeper Daniel Bachmann.

Periera almost gifted the visitors a second when he dropped Rose's shot on the hour but he managed to regain control of the ball before Leon Clarke could pounce.

Soares played Leon Clarke through on goal with seven minutes to remaining and the forward duly slotted the ball past the goalkeeper but he was denied by the offside flag.

The powerful forward then sent a glancing header wide from a Hussey corner before former Bury captain Jim McNulty created a pocket of space in the penalty area at the other end but failed to keep his shot down.

Bury must now wait until tomorrow evening for the third-round draw, which will be made live on BBC Two from 7pm.