BURY Broncos bounced back from a second defeat of the season the previous weekend to win a potentially tricky match 40-10 at Blackpool Scorpions.

The Scorpions have stung title challengers Leigh Miners Rangers already this season but they were unable to get the better of a determined Broncos outfit, who remain four points clear at the top of Division Two in the North West Men's League.

And a good day was made even better after the A team won their first match of the season in Division Four, beating Bolton Mets 26-24.

Coach Dave Kelly said: “Congratulations to Ian Duncan and the second-team lads for their first win.

"It was a great performance, especially with so many players called up to first-team duties or unavailable to play.

"It just shows the depth we are developing as a club; well done to everyone."

The first team stormed into a 20-point lead following four unanswered tries from Liam Sixsmith, Warren Bluer, Blake Roberts and Sean Kelly.

Roberts converted two of them before Broncos conceded a number of penalties and allowed Blackpool to respond to make it 20-6 at the break.

Broncos started the second half on the front foot again when Joe Wilkinson and Reece Bottomley combined to send Roberts in for his second try.

The game became a little scrappy after a man from each side was sinbinned and Blackpool were given a team warning after a number of high tackles.

But the visitors kept their heads and despite conceding a second try, added three more of their own as Bluer completed his hat-trick with two further scores either side of a powerful effort from Steve Critchley, who took three men over the line with him.

Roberts scored two out of four conversion attempts in the second half to underline a strong display.

The A team enjoyed an end-to-end battle at home Bolton as both sides went in search of a first win of the campaign.

Despite a try from Kieran Marshall, Broncos went into half time 12-4 down, but turned the game on its head with scores from Andrew Willis, Rob Russell, David Donnelly and Jason Rawlinson after the break.

The visitors, who started the second half two men down, fought back with two tries, but Broncos stood firm to retain their two-point advantage.