BURY ended an eight-year wait for an opening-day victory with a 2-0 win at home to League One title favourites Charlton Athletic.

Summer signing Neil Danns expertly converted a penalty 18 minutes from time to give the Shakers the lead.

And substitute Kelvin Etuhu sealed the three points with a close-range finish at the death.

As well as Danns, Bury manager David Flitcroft also handed debuts to goalkeeper Ben Williams, defenders Greg Leigh and Antony Kay, and striker Nicky Clark.

Kay was also named as skipper, ahead of centre-back partner Nathan Cameron, who had been captain for the majority of the past two seasons.

With 11 debutants in the two sides, the opening exchanges proved scrappy, with neither side creating any clear-cut chances.

The Shakers came closest to an opener through Jacob Mellis in the 18th minute when he fizzed a 30-yard piledriver narrowly past the post.

Soon after, Leigh smashed a long-range volley over the bar after a corner fell at his feet midway inside the Charlton half.

The visitors' first shot came on the half-hour mark when former Shaker Nicky Ajose almost caught out Williams with a long-range effort but the keeper palmed the ball to safety.

Bury continued to dominate the first period with Mellis and Tom Pope both going close with efforts from distance.

Chalrton started the second half on the front foot and came a lick of paint away from taking the lead after Ricky Holmes burst down the right and smashed a shot against the bar.

Flitcroft introduced wingers Zeli Ismail and Danny Mayor midway through the second period, which added width and creativity to the Bury attack.

Mayor forced a terrific save from Declan Rudd in the Addicks goal with a fine header from Danns' free kick in the 71st minute.

Danns took the resulting corner and Cameron was dragged to the ground by Jason Pearce, giving referee Nigel Miller no option but to point straight to the spot.

The former Bolton Wanderers midfielder stepped up and drilled the ball hard and low into the bottom left corner to give his side the lead.

Etuhu was introduced in the 74th minute in place of Mellis to give added protection to the back four, but 12 minutes later he doubled Bury's lead, converting Ismail's corner from close-range following Pope's knockdown.

The Shakers' defence provided a fantastic foundation as they pushed on for more goals, but as time drew to a close the fans were jubilant with a well-deserved three points.