BURY stumbled one step closer to relegation from League One as their dismal derby record continued.

Local rivals Rochdale claimed a 30th-minute opener through Ryan Delaney before Ian Henderson doubled their lead on 43 minutes.

Bury were booed off at half time, with chants of “what a load of rubbish” coming from the main stand.

And Neil Danns’ second-half penalty miss summed it up for the Shakers, who have now failed to win in their last 10 league games against Dale.

More importantly, a fifth straight defeat means they are 12 points from safety with just six games left.

Ryan Lowe made four changes to the side which lost 2-1 at Bristol Rovers on Good Friday, with Joe Skarz, Adam Thompson, Andrew Tutte and Danny Mayor coming in.

But Dale made the livelier start and Henderson spurned a great early chance, taking a touch from Brad Inman’s cut-back before volleying wide from just six yards.

Mayor was Bury’s biggest threat in the first half and his through ball for George Miller was slightly overhit before Mayor dragged a 20-yard effort straight at Josh Lillis.

Thompson then did well to block a Henderson shot but Dale took the lead from a corner moments later. Inman’s delivery landed right on the head of Delaney eight yards out and it looked as though the Dale defender’s feet barely left the ground as he steered the ball inside Connor Ripley’s near post.

Bury replied with Mayor curling a hopeful effort way off target before Miller found Mayor in the left side of the box and the winger cut inside before firing straight at Lillis.

But Dale went straight up the other end to double their lead as Calvin Andrew found Henderson in the left side of the box and the striker hit a fine volley inside the far post from a tight angle.

Lowe made a double substitution at the break but moments after the restart Ripley was at full stretch to tip over a Henderson header, while Delaney headed over from another Dale corner.

Bury improved slightly and Zeli Ismail’s cut-back struck Jim McNulty’s arm. Ismail tried to get the ball off regular penalty taker Danns but Danns took it and dragged it almost a yard wide.

Lillis made a superb save to deny half-time substitute Harry Bunn.