BURY manager Ryan Lowe praised the never-say-die attitude of his players after his side came from behind three times to claim a 3-3 draw against leaders Lincoln City at Gigg Lane.

Danny Rowe’s solo effort gave the Imps an early advantage, but Jay O’Shea drew the hosts level on 15 minutes before Cian Bolger’s shot went in off Chris Stokes to give Lincoln the lead again.

Nicky Adams brought Lowe’s men back level before the break, but John Akinde’s penalty put the Imps ahead for a third time before Will Aimson's late header ensured the spoils were shared.

The draw means Bury remain third in League Two six points behind Lincoln at the top, and despite admitting some frustration at his side’s defending, Lowe was satisfied with the result.

“It was an advert for League Two,” he said. “You’ve seen two teams fighting for three points and two effective teams, but I’m disappointed with the goals we give away.

“It needs to stop and I’ve addressed that with the boys. We have to work for our goals as we’ve seen, and I don’t think the opposition have to work too hard for their goals.

“We’ll address that and we’ll make it right, because we know we will, but overall I’m pleased with the character and the never-say-die attitude of that squad and those players.

“We’re always wanting that little bit more and I know they believe in it themselves. Lincoln have not given it to us – they’ve been excellent.

“But from a manager’s point of view, and a selfish point of view, you want them to eradicate the sloppy goals or the goals that they’re not really working too hard for.

“In that department, I’m a little bit frustrated with the goals that we gave away, but again, I’ve got a great group of lads in there and the characters of them are second to none and they will get better.

“We thoroughly deserved to get back on level terms and at one point, I thought we potentially could have nicked it. In fact, being harsh, we should have.”

After a scrappy start, a marvellous individual effort from Rowe gave the Imps a ninth-minute lead after he capitalised on an error from Stokes to dribble into the box and finish.

Lincoln nearly doubled their advantage before the quarter hour after a loose Aimson pass found Akinde but Bury were soon back on level terms through a long-range O'Shea effort.

The visitors reclaimed their lead on 25 minutes when Akinde headed on a free kick and Bolger’s effort took a huge deflection off Stokes, before Adams made it 2-2 at the interval.

The Imps went ahead again after the restart when they were awarded a penalty after Anderson went down under Callum McFadzean’s challenge and Akinde coolly slotted home the spot kick.

But the Shakers fought back once more to level again when Aimson rose highest to thump a powerful 86th-minute header past Smith from an Adams corner to share the spoils.

Bury (3-5-2): Murphy 6, Aimson 7, Thompson 6, Stokes 5 (Moore 67 6), Adams 8, O’Shea 8, O’Connell 7 (Danns 82 5), Mayor 7, McFadzean 5, Telford 6 (Lavery 76 6), Maynard 6

Subs not used: Moloney, Miller, Cooney, Wharton

Lincoln City (4-2-3-1): Smith, Eardley, Bolger (O’Connor 46), Shackell, Toffolo, Bostwick, Frecklington, Pett (O’Hara 76), Anderson, Rowe (Roberts 70), Akinde

Subs not used: Vickers, Rhead, McCartan, Brown

Referee: Dean Whitestone

Attendance: 5,169