Bury 3 Barnet 0

SIMPLY put, it has never been better for Chris Casper in his time as manager of Bury Football Club.

Not only is his side currently embarking upon their longest unbeaten run in his two-year tenure - but they are also playing football comparable to any other side in League Two.

The victory over Barnet, in his own words, could barely have been more convincing. And at the heart of it all, Bolton-born, Nicky Adams, is in the form of his life.

The 21-year-old has transformed from a frustrating winger with potential into a roaming free spirit capable of unlocking any defence in the division.

He is turning heads further up the league having rattled in six goals in his last eight games - including two on Saturday - and that is exactly why Casper has urged his board to start putting the gears in motion to secure him on a longer contract.

"The statistics speak for themselves and he will get a lot of attention," Casper agreed.

"He has been man of the match today, although any one of 11 could have got it, but his goals win games, and that makes people sit up and listen."

Adams' contract expires at the end of the season, and the entourage of scouts currently following the club around at present would suggest there would be no shortage of offers in January when he would officially be allowed to discuss terms elsewhere. But the former Sharples High School pupil is enjoying his football, and has grown up both on the field and off, after becoming a father last year.

The same can be said for quite a few other young Shakers in this current squad. However, the looming January transfer window does not carry the same foreboding feeling this year for a club set in a more stable financial footing than in recent seasons.

"We're not in a position where we have to sell players anymore," Casper said, recalling Januarys gone by where Bury have lost the likes of David Nugent, Dwayne Mattis and Simon Whaley. "But outside the top four of the Premiership, you'd have to accept that everyone has a price.

"It would take a hell of a lot of money to take our younger players now."

After a tentative start, Bury exploded into life when Glynn Hurst atoned for an earlier wild swing at goal, by calmly slotting home Adams' excellent cross from the right in the 31st minute.

Ben Futcher picked up his fifth yellow card of the season before half time, in what proved to be the only blot on the Shakers' copybook.

And when fans arrived back at their seats after the break, they barely sat down for 20 breathless minutes.

Bury got to grips with Barnet's high defensive line, and should have scored when Hurst flicked through for Andy Mangan, who curled a shot just wide of the post.

Adams got it right four minutes later when Paul Scott's determination forced the ball through, and he steadied himself to place his shot under the keeper.

Hurst was the next in the procession to break clear, but he unselfishly squared to Adams, whose shot at goal was well dealt with by Harrison.

Barnet tried a triple substitution to try and force their way into the game, but barring Adam Birchall's curling drive which went just over the bar, Jim Provett was untested in what proved to be his first clean sheet of the season.

As the game became increasingly spread, Adams broke through again in injury time, and once again kept his nerve to find the back of the net.

Bury: Provett 6; Scott 6; Futcher 7; Challinor 7; Haslam 8; Hurst 8 (Bishop 90); Buchanan 8; Parrish 8; Adams 9; Mangan 7 (Baker 7, 67); Bullock 7. Subs: Barry-Murphy; Stephens; Rouse.

Barnet: Harrison 6; Devera 6; Nicolau 5 (Norville 5, 57); Bishop 5; Hatch 6; Birchall 7; Puncheon 5 (Gillett 5, 57); Carew 5 (Leary 5, 57); Burton 7; O'Cearuill 6; Wright 5. Subs: Beckwith; Porter.

Att: 2,121 Referee: Nigel Miller (Co Durham).