SEDGLEY Tigers assistant coach Steve Hazzelby believes his side will have to be at their best to claim a victory this weekend against old rivals Stourbridge at Park Lane.

The Tigers could not record their first away win of the New Year as they were defeated 15-8 by Tynedale in difficult conditions, meaning they remain in third position in the National League 2 North standings.

Spirits were high following a good week of training leading up to the game and despite a strong start, the coach was ultimately disappointed with the performance from his side.

“We started the game well playing into the elements, keeping possession intelligently with good shape and excellent support from forwards and backs,” he said.

“Playing with the elements in the second half, all we had to do was to use the wind and pin Tynedale in their own 22 and take our chances when they came. Unfortunately, this did not happen and Tynedale defended resolutely.

“We did gain a losing bonus point, but this was a very disappointing performance, especially as second place Fylde had also lost to Huddersfield.”

Sedgley started quickly and opened the scoring in the second minute through scrum-half Danny Openshaw. This came after a great line break from captain Bob Birtwell, however fly-half Stephen Collins could not make the conversion in tough kicking conditions.

Tynedale put The Tigers defence under pressure, kicking with the strong wind, which eventually paid dividends as they took the lead in the 16th minute. Following a nice break from their outside backs, William Miller scored the try which was converted by fly half Jake Rodgers, giving Tynedale a 7-5 lead at the interval.

Early into the second half, Tynedale extended their lead to 12-5 through winger Guy Pike, who scored a try following a kick and chase, but the conversion was missed by Jake Rodgers.

Hazzelby was not happy with the decision to allow the try as he believed there was a knock on in the build-up.

Tynedale fly-half Jake Rodgers extended their lead to 15-5 in the 57th minute following a scrum penalty, another call that left Hazzelby puzzled.

Sedgley piled on the pressure and tested Tynedale’s defence but could not break them down. Despite having a number of opportunities to kick penalties, The Tigers only converted one of these.

Steve Collins reduced the deficit to 15-8 with 10 minutes to go but could not add any more points in the latter stages of the game.

The Tigers now host Stourbridge on Saturday, seventh in the 16-team standings, looking to bounce back from this defeat and close the gap on second-placed Fylde, who lost 32-15 at Huddersfield.

Hazzelby said: “We did win back in October at their ground 28-25, but we know that this will be a hard game and we will have to be at our best to take the honours.”