BURY Hockey Club’s men’s first team secured a top three finish and their best points finish in Division 1 North thanks to a 3-1 win at Kirkby Lonsdale.

Despite Jonny Bray and Josh Lee missing guilt-edged chances early on, Bury went ahead thanks to Jack Marshall-Grint, who received a through ball from Jonny Bray before turning his marker and slotting past the ‘keeper.

Victory was secured early in the second half thanks to some good link-up play between Ahti Khan, Darren Long and Jordan Lee – the latter finding James Larmett at the top of the D, who fired home a first-time finish into the corner.

Lee then tapped in after more good pressing from Bury which saw James Berry and Bray link up to feed Marshall-Grint, who unselfishly squared for Lee.

Kirkby scored at the death but it was little more than a consolation as Bury look to finish the season with a flourish in their final game against CoM 2s at Woodhey next week.

The men’s second team took another step toward the Division 4NS title with an emphatic 11-0 victory over Urmston 3s.

Jon Kitchen scored five with Danny Nicholls adding a hat-trick. Andy Foster (2) and Mike Letki finished off the scoring.

With midfield maestro Matthews pulling the strings in midfield, Bury had a field day and take a good team performance into the weekend’s title decider with CoM 3s. Bury need to win to be absolutely sure of the title but a draw would mean CoM would have to score 20 goals across their last two matches against Bury and Brooklands to overcome the goal difference.

Bury ladies firsts had a double header. On Saturday they took on a strong Didsbury thirds side who ran out 4-2 winners.

Bury, with just 11 players and no subs, took a 2-0 lead with Lorna Wroe and Sophie Foreman on the scoresheet.

Eventually though, the numbers told as Bury’s 11 couldn’t cope with the rotating subs of the squad of 16 that Didsbury brought.

Sunday saw another bare 11 travel to University of Manchester but this time they came out 2-1 winners against the students.

Foreman put Bury ahead with a superb reverse finish from a tight angle before the University levelled soon after with a scrappy goal.

But Emma Bailey had the last word with a super strike of her own to seal victory.

The ladies seconds went down fighting 5-1 to Wigan 1s as they continue to struggle against a looming relegation. Emma Bailey scored their only goal from another penalty corner. The thirds lost 3-0 to Stockport.