RADCLIFFE’S five-game winning streak came to an end at the hands of Ashton United on Tuesday when they 3-1 on the road.

The hosts began on the front foot, enjoying the majority of the possession and being tidy on the ball whenever challenged and Boro rode their luck.

Ashton were awarded a perfect chance to get an opener on 14 minutes from the penalty spot, but captain Michael Brewster saw his powerful effort crash off the top of the bar.

Radcliffe’s luck ran out after half an hour, as Tom Warren capitalised on a slow back pass by Ben Rydel to score and give the home side a half-time advantage.

Half-time substitute Luca Navarro went close to levelling early in the second half but his curler went the wrong side of the post before Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro had a close-range effort blocked on the line.

And just six minutes later, the hosts found a second goal through Florian Yonsian.

But Radcliffe found a way back into the game as Bobby Grant converted a penalty beyond a helpless Ollie Martin after Navarro was taken down inside the box.

But hopes of a point were dashed when Ben Hardcastle picked up an under-hit back pass and rounded Cam Belford to wrap up the three points for Ashton with minutes to go.

It had been a much happier outcome in the NPL Premier Division on Saturday when Grant’s side beat Mickleover 3-1 on home soil thanks to two second-half substitutes.

The away side started the game brightly and on 28 minutes, they were awarded a penalty with the referee deeming Belford had clipped an attacker as he tried to round him. Captain Andrew Wright stepped up and sent the ball into the bottom corner and it remained 1-0 at the interval.

Mickleover again started quickly after the break and Belford had to be on top form with a string of fine saves.

But on 55 minutes, Boro were level when Jo Cummings got his first goal of the season.

Adam Dawson picked up a loose ball down the left and then whipped an accurate cross into the box, a mix of touches from the two teams left a scramble in the Mickleover penalty area, with Cummings getting the decisive touch to tap home from a few yards out.

The momentum quickly shifted in Radcliffe’s favour and Grant’s side mounted pressure on to the Mickleover defence.

And on 64 minutes the turnaround was complete when substitute Chris Taylor found himself free at the back post from a Grant pass and diverted the ball into the net past a frustrated Callum Hawkins in the Mickleover goal.

Then, just seconds after coming onto the pitch, Navarro wrapped up the victory with his first touch, latching on to a goal-kick by Belford to dink the ball over the on-rushing Hawkins.

Radcliffe have a break from league action on Saturday when they turn their attentions to the FA Trophy and the visit of Nuneaton Borough.