SEDGLEY Park suffered their first defeat of the National Two league season with a heartbreaking 32-31 defeat at Stourbridge to slip down below their hosts into second spot.

Stourbridge raced out of the blocks and scored first with a converted try initiated by good driving play from their forwards.

The Tigers responded almost immediately with a tremendous try for full-back Andy Riley after a patient build-up and a sweeping move along the backline. Steve Collins added the conversion and it was now 7-7 within the first 10 minutes.

Stourbridge went further ahead with another converted try on 18 minutes after a sharp line break by their centre.

But Sedgley continued to take the game to them at every opportunity and were rewarded with a second score for hooker Matt Gallagher after a solid catch and drive by the forwards.

Stourbridge scored their third try on the half-hour mark with a searing turn of pace from their left winger who touched down in the left-hand corner, but again the visitors’ response was immediate with a try for left winger Jamie Harrison who had come off his wing to score in their right-hand corner.

The hosts got a penalty just before half time and they went into the interval with a deserved 24-17 lead.

Stourbridge started the second half with a well-executed catch and drive score through their powerful forwards to put them in a commanding 29-17 lead with a four-try bonus point secured.

However, the effort and the sheer hard graft of the Sedgley players paid off with a great try from number eight Tom Ailes who picked the ball up in the middle of the ruck and sprinted to put it down under the posts. Collins added the conversion and Sedgley then scored another try through Gallagher after a lot of pressure.

Collins again added the conversion to make it 31-29 with eight minutes to go.

But in the final play of the game, the visitors made a mistake giving away a penalty and Stourbridge capitalised.

This Saturday the Tigers are at home to third-placed Hull in what promises to be another thrilling encounter at Park Lane.