SEDGLEY Park returned to action after two blank weekend’s with a resounding 31-0 home triumph against bottom club Blaydon in National Two North.

And while it looked like a straightforward victory against a side they also beat 66-16 earlier in the campaign, coach Steve Hazzelby said his teama were made to work for the win.

He said: “We knew that this would be a difficult game, especially in the atrocious conditions.

“This was a solid performance from the whole squad and Blaydon, to their credit, never gave up and tried to play good rugby at every opportunity.”

Blaydon started the game strongly, taking the play to the home team at every opportunity and they pinned the Tigers down in their half for the first 20 minutes, Sedgley giving away a number of penalties that enabled their opponents to gain ground and territory.

However, the home defence held firm and in the 28th minute, they broke the deadlock.

A penalty put them in the right-hand corner and an accurate catch and drive lineout by the forwards saw number eight Will Lees crash over for a well-worked try. Steve Collins added the conversion from wide out on the touchline.

A second try came from deep within Sedgley’s own 22 when a kick ahead was chased by flying winger Jamie Harrison, who outstripped all the Blaydon players to touch down with a 60-yard score to make it 12-0 at the break.

The second half saw the Tigers playing down the slope at Park Lane and with the elements, but Blaydon to their credit continued to test them with hard, driving play through their forwards and backs.

However, it was the Tigers who got the first score after an over throw by the Blaydon hooker was collected by scrum-half Danny Openshaw and he sprinted 50 metres, beating several defenders to touch down near the posts.

Collins added the conversion to give the Tigers a commanding lead.

They continued to build phase after phase deep within the Blaydon 22 and it was from this power play that number six, Connor James, got a fourth bonus-point try when he crashed over in the left-hand corner.

The final try came with the last play of the game after centre Oli Glasse grubbed the ball behind the Blaydon defence for winger Rhys Henderson to collect and touch down. Collins added the conversion to complete the scoring.

It sets Sedgley up nicely for a trip to local rivals, and fellow high-flyers, Fylde this weekend.

And Hazzelby is expecting a close affair.

He said: “We are currently fourth in the table, two points behind Fylde and three behind Rotherham but we have two games in hand which we have to win if we are to challenge Hull at the top.

“This Saturday we have a huge derby game away to Fylde and it will be a tough game.”