The new era at Prestwich Heys begins in earnest on Saturday as the North West Counties League Premier Division season gets underway with a home game against Burscough (3pm).

It’s been a busy summer at the club following the appointment of Lee O’Brien and James Hampson as Joint Managers. The duo have overseen a radical overhaul of the playing staff with only four members of last season’s squad remaining at the club.

Nonetheless, Heys will be looking to hit the ground running and get early points on the board against a Burscough outfit who came seventh last season. Heys then face a tricky looking trip to newly-promoted West Didsbury & Chorlton on Tuesday night (7.45pm).

Heys head into the season in good spirits after a good Pre-Season that brought six wins, a draw and one defeat. Their latest success came on Monday night when they crushed New Mills at Adie Moran Park, winning 6-1.

The damage was done in an astonishing first half that saw Heys score five times on the back of some flowing football.

Heys took the lead in the 15th minute when great work by Reon Potts took him into the box before beating the keeper at the foot of the post with a great shot.

Four minutes later Heys added a second. A great build up saw the ball move from back to front before reaching Dylan Fitzgerald who showed quick feet before rifling a shot into the bottom corner.

In the 24th minute Heys added a third as a superb ball by Callum Nicholas, through the heart of the New Mills defence, sprang the offside trap releasing Potts to go through and fire home his second.

Potts was denied a hat-trick by a great save shortly after before Heys scored their fourth in the 37th minute. A piece of brilliance by Connor Berry saw him break down the right, cutting inside with a couple of step overs, before firing into the far corner.

On the stroke of half time Heys made it five as Berry again broke down the right before his cross provided a tap in for Nicholas.

The second half proved a more sedate affair as Heys rang the changes and New Mills proved more resilient. However, they could not prevent Heys adding a sixth goal in the 67th minute as Tyler James broke into the box before laying the ball off for Kaiden Barlow to steer home.

The visitors persistence was rewarded with a consolation goal in the 85th minute bit it could not take the gloss of an impressive Heys performance.

It came on the back of a 2-1 win at Wythenshawe Amateurs last Saturday where Heys held the upper hand from the off before taking the lead in the 29th minute. Ash Cata, on as a sub, made a swift impression with a shot through a crowded goal mouth that found the bottom corner.

However, on the stroke of half time, Heys hard work was undone as the hosts swept forward to equalise with a finish from 12 yards.

After the break, Heys picked up the pace and regained the lead in the 65th minute. A ball over to the left found Kaiden Barlow who cut inside and produced a lovely strike, as he buried a shot into the bottom right.

Barlow threatened again in the 75th minute but was brought down in the box to give Heys a penalty. However, Berry’s spot kick was to hit the post.

* Ahead of Saturday’s home game with Burscough Heys new stand will be officially opened at 1.30pm by the Mayor of the Metropolitan Borough of Bury, Councillor Shaheena Haroon.