Sedgley Park came through their toughest test of the National Two North season to date by beating a good Rotherham Titans side 25-17 at home.

The Titans have historically been a good team with spells in the Championship, National One and briefly in the Premiership.

But the hosts put in a fine display to extend their winning start to the campaign, pleasing coach Steve Hazzelby.

He said: “Rotherham base their game on an enormous pack of well-drilled forwards who are able to test the defence and resolve of any team they come up against.

“They had started their season quite well with four wins but unexpected losses to Hull Ionians away and Fylde at home.

“We had played them twice last season with a draw at home and a narrow defeat at their ground and were looking to record our first victory against them. We had prepared well in training, spirits were high anticipating a huge challenge.

“And it was a marvellous achievement for the boys maintaining our unbeaten run.

“The effort and commitment by the whole squad was unbelievable and testament to this exceptional group of players.”

Rotherham started strongly with a try after seven minutes with a powerful catch-and-drive lineout from their forwards.

Sedgley got on the scoreboard with a penalty from fly-half Steve Collins on 15 minutes to reduce the lead to 5-3.

Exchanges were fierce between the sides with neither team giving ground and the hosts took the lead after 28 minutes with a score for hooker Adam Mallinson after a penalty lineout catch-and-drive from the Tigers pack, putting them 8-5 in front.

The Tigers extended their lead four minutes later with a wonderful score for winger Rhys Henderson after a lovely break down the right from centre Oli Glasse. Collins added the conversion to make it 15-5.

However, Rotherham hit back with their second converted try after powerful drives by their big forwards deep within the hosts’ 22 to make it 15-12 at the interval.

Sedgley started the second half taking the game to Rotherham at every opportunity and looking to play rugby in their half.

However, it was the visitors who scored first after Sedgley turned the ball over in their half. They gathered, kicked ahead and won the race to touch down in the top right-hand corner.

Five minutes later, the hosts were awarded a penalty and Collins put them back in the lead at 18-17.

Both teams rang the changes hoping fresh legs would give them impetus to go on and seal a victory and a magic moment from Collins after 66 minutes saw him make a lovely break, beat two defenders and off load to prop Alex Brookes who touched down under the Rotherham posts. Collins then capped a fine display by adding the conversion to seal a well-deserved four-point win.

This Saturday the Tigers visit Wharfedale and Hazzelby added: “Another good performance is needed if we are to keep the pressure on at the top.”