Coach Steve Hazzelby believes his Sedgley Park side go into this weekend’s National Two North top-of-the-table clash with leaders Fylde in positive mood after extending their winning start to the campaign at Wharfedale.

The two sides have both won all eight of their league matches to date with just four ecxtra bonuse points putting Fylde ahead of the Tigers at the summit.

Something has to give on Saturday at Park Lane and Hazzelby is backing his players.

He said: “This Saturday is the biggest test so far with a home game against league leaders Fylde who are also unbeaten.

“We will prepare well for this top-of-the-table, winner-takes-all clash.”

Last weekend it was a typically tough test in Yorkshire for Sedgley who triumphed 15-6 with Hazzelby praising his side’s efforts.

He went on: “We anticipated that this was always going to be a hard, physical challenge against a big, powerful team that are hard to break down on their home patch.

“A small, sloping pitch, a large vocal partisan crowd and a never-say-die group of players - we knew we would have to be at our best if we were to take the points and maintain the unbeaten run and we did that.”

The early exchanges were good for the Tigers as they looked to keep the pressure on Wharfedale in their own half.

Their defence was solid with accurate, effective two-man hits keeping the home team pinned down and it was only disappointing penalties that allowed them to gain possession and take the game to the Tigers.

Playing their favourite way down the slope, the hosts had hoped they could get points on the board by half time but the Tigers snuffed out attack after attack with unbelievable effort and commitment.

And it was the away team who would score first with a great try for flanker Tane Bentley after a powerful catch-and-drive lineout from the forwards.

Steve Collins was unable to convert but Sedgley were 5-0 up and playing hard, controlled rugby, taking the play to Wharfedale at every opportunity.

The home side got back in the game with a penalty on the half-hour mark to reduce the lead to 5-3.

Then, just before the break, a powerful drive by prop Beltus Nonleh saw the ball moved swiftly along the line for left winger Jamie Harrison to dive over in the corner to give Sedgley a 10-3 half-time advantage.

The second half saw the visitors playing down the slope looking to extend their lead and finish the game off.

However,Wharfedale defended well and looked to disrupt Sedgley’s momentum and continuity.

They were awarded another penalty after 50 minutes to put them back in the game at 10-6 and had their tails up, looking to cause an upset.

However, constant pressure by the Sedgley forwards on their line saw scrum-half Jacob Tansey dive over and make it 15-6 up with eight minutes to go and they held on for a well-deserved four-point win.

Hazzelby added: “This was a massive effort from all of the squad from 1-20, but special mention goes to number eight, Tom Ailes, who made surge after surge through their defences and to skipper Matt Riley, who was inspirational and the man of the moment.

“There was also a solid performance for young hooker Corbin Thunder on his debut.”