Sedgley Park maintained their winning start to the season with a 10th successive win in National Two North.

The latest victims for the leaders was Tynedale but it was far from plain sailing for the Tigers in a 33-28 triumph on what was a landmark day for skipper Matt Riley - his 400th league appearance.

Coach Steve Hazzelby said: “Spirits were high after the win over Fylde the week before and we were looking to extend the unbeaten run with a top performance.

“Tynedale were lying in mid-table with five wins and four losses but we knew that this would be a hard game against a very big, well organised team and that is how it turned out.

“We maintained the unbeaten run but we have to learn from this close encounter and make sure we play for 80 minutes if we want to challenge for promotion at the end of the season.

“Despite this the effort and commitment of the players is unquestionable and a special mention to flanker George Bordhill who put in a top performance after coming back from injury.

“It was also our captain Matt Riley’s 400th league game, an unbelievable achievement and one which may never be beaten.”

Sedgley started the game very strongly, playing good rugby in the Tynedale half and scoring their first try through centre Oli Glasse, who touched down in the bottom left-hand corner after a powerful line break by Beltus Nonleh. Steve Collins added the difficult conversion to make it 7-0 after nine minutes.

They extended the lead four minutes later with try for Collins himself, who latched on to a powerful catch-and-drive from the forwards.

Tynedale are a team who like to play open rugby and hit back almost immediately with a converted try after a sharp passage of play in Sedgley’s 22.

But the hosts continued to put the pressure on the Tynedale defence at every opportunity and scored a third try through full-back Andy Riley, who touched down in the bottom left-hand corner after excellent hands along the line. Collins added the conversion to increase the scoreline to 19-7.

The Tigers pushed hard to get the fourth and bonus-point try before the interval and it was captain Matt Riley on his special day who fittingly crashed over after a wonderful 50-metre line break by right winger Billy Kutchera. Collins added his third conversion to make it 26-7 at the break.

It looked comfortable but Tynedale started the second half strongly with a strong scrum and accurate lineout, and kept Sedgley pinned down in their own half after they gave away a number of penalties.

The visitors scored their second try after 54 minutes with a well-worked converted score in the left-hand corner to reduce the lead to 26-14.

Sedgley hit back with a fifth score of the afternoon for hooker Corbin Thunder, who broke through three tackles to score under the posts and Collins converted to make it 33-14.

However the rest of the half was frustrating for the Tigers as they were penalised consistently, allowing the visitors to gain territory and possession and pressure their line.

A penalty into the corner saw their big forwards catch and drive to score a third try and reduce the lead to 33-21 with 10 minutes to go.

Sedgley defended really well to keep them out but could not get any momentum or continuity because of the penalty count.

And Tynedale scored their fourth try after 75 minutes after their left winger gathered a chip kick from Sedgley and raced 40 metres to score. They added the conversion and an upset looked on the cards.

But the Tigers we were able to see the game out and take the win.

The league leaders have a blank weekend now before a return to action at Huddersfield on November 26.